Command Line Options Not Showing

VisionSurvey

Hi All,

I'm trying out AutoCAD 2011, it's looking great - but I seem to have lost any options/toggles to commands in the command line.

For example if I type 'zoom', I'd expect to see extents, window, all etc appear but they dont - I am just left with 'zoom' and a blank space.

The options seem to be there still - I can hit 'e' for extents, but I still want to be able to see the options for my commands.

Dynamic input is off - does anyone know what is causing this?

Thanks,

Try the DynPrompt variable.

OR: Do you mean there's nothing displayed on the command line itself? If you open the text screen (F2) are the prompts displayed there? Maybe your command line panel just needs some extra space, usually 3 lines should be enough.

No luck with DynPrompt - although I'm guessing the variables would be 1 and 0 - thats what it isn't showing me.

It's not showing in the text screen either, I thought it may be the text colour but thats all fine and I can see the text I write.

From Help:

NOMUTT -

Suppresses the message display (muttering) when it wouldn't normally be suppressed.

Displaying messages is the normal mode, but message display is suppressed during scripts, AutoLISP routines, and so on.

0 Resumes normal muttering behavior

1 Suppresses muttering indefinitely

And I had no idea that that variable existed! :shock:

Try this:

(if (= 1 (getvar 'nomutt))
 (setvar 'nomutt 0))

Thats fixed it, whatever it did!

Thanks, :thumbsup:

edit: Tiger: nor did I - no idea how I turned it on either.

Edited by VisionSurvey
saw Tigers post

Thats fixed it, whatever it did!

Thanks, :thumbsup:

edit: Tiger: nor did I - no idea how I turned it on either.

From what Help said, its something mostly used in Lisps and such, so perhaps you have a lisp loaded that have some trouble with its error trapping.

I use it (the nomutt sysvar) primarily for when I have to use an AutoCAD command in my code (non-ActiveX), and (setvar 'cmdecho 0) will not suppress all items at the command line... i.e., UCS.

With cmdecho = 1, try using the ._ucs command... prompts still show.

Whereas with cmdecho = 1, and nomutt = 1, the ._ucs command prompts do not show.

Hope this helps!

From what Help said, its something mostly used in Lisps and such, so perhaps you have a lisp loaded that have some trouble with its error trapping.

Correct.

Pointless text so that I am allowed to post my reply.

Thanks, I regularly use a few lisp routines.

If it happens again I now know what to do.

"... And knowing is half the battle. " :lol:

Not only do you know what to do... you now know how to fix your code, so it won't happen again. :wink:

I can't really write the code - I just about understand enough to tweak others.

If i stuck setvar nomutt 0 at the end of any broken routine would that work?

I've not seen anything that looks like error handling in any of the routines I use.

No worries, we all start somewhere. :)

Nope.

Doing so doesn't mitigate the user hitting ESC during the routine, or an *error* occuring which prevents the code from getting to that line. Hence the need for *error* checking.

I've not seen anything that looks like error handling in any of the routines I use.

*IF* you've pin-pointed the routine which cause this situation, feel free to post the code and I, or someone smarter, will try to help.

Try this:

(if (= 1 (getvar 'nomutt))
 (setvar 'nomutt 0))

Thanks yes, for the life of me I just couldn't remember that one:thumbsup:

For me it's filed in the same portion of the brain as that QAFlags thingy :sweat:

Doing so doesn't mitigate the user hitting ESC during the routine, or an *error* occuring which prevents the code from getting to that line. Hence the need for *error* checking.
For that reason I hate it when someone makes a lisp where they set variables without doing a proper job of error trapping. I've been guilty of such myself, and have several marks on my legs from kicking myself :shock:. The problem is so many users use the Esc key to stop a command ... but in Lisp it stops everything dead. Thus the lisp needs an *error* function to clean up after itself no matter what's happened.

Rule of thumb is whenever your lisp does a setvar at the beginning it should not just restore the value at the end but also do an error trap. You'll also need this if you want to group your lisp into an undo group (e.g. if your lisp draws several entities in one go and you want the user to be able to undo at once). This thread has some good examples of error handling.