Automating data extraction wizzard

Grenco

Hi there!

I'm trying to automate the data extraction command/wizzard. My goal is to extract all my revision blocks on my drawing so I can make a drawing(sent-)list. That's no problem, but I don't want to run through the whole wizzard everytime. And I also don't want to set the correct folders.

My problems are:

How can I load a template .dxe file and edit his loaded drawingfolder?

With every different project, a different .dxe file. Every project has it's own drawings. But the path where it is, is refoundable with vba or something (thisdrawing.path & "\dxe-folder\XXX.dxe"). The loaded drawing folder is easy as thisdrawing.path.

Different output: with every different project, there is a different excel file to be created. This is not the toughest problem I think because if you run the -DATAEXTRACTION command you can enter the path easily.

The data extraction function is not in VBA so I only can use it with a "thisdrawing.sendcommand"

I've searched, saw that other people also wanted it but every topic didn't have a solution or went dead.

Someone has an idea or solution how to make a makro of it?

• 9 months later...

Hi there,

Is it important for you to generate that Data Extraction file?

You could simply create an excel file and link it to a table in your titleblock?

Regards,

SB

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but just in case anyone finds this....

With regards to wanting the output to be different each time, I have accomplished this using the following steps:

1. use dataextraction to output to a constant file

2. open a macro-enabled workbook in excel

3. write the location of the currently open file to that workbook

4. use the workbook to execute a macro upon opening

5. use the macro to move the dataextraction to the same directory as the file

6. close excel

here's the autolisp code:

(command "-DATAEXTRACTION" "C:\\Data Extraction.dxe" "Y")
(vl-file-copy "[url="file://\\temporary-extract.xls"]C:\\temporary-extract.xls[/url]" (strcat (vla-get-path (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object))) "[url="file://\\data"]\\data[/url] extraction report.xls"))
(OpenExcel "[url="file://\\data_extraction_macro.xlsm"]C:\\data_extraction_macro.xlsm[/url]" "main" vlax-true)
(PutCell "A1" (strcat (vla-get-path (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object))) "[url="file://\\data"]\\data[/url] extraction report.xls"))

hopefully this helps anyone looking for an answer to this issue

Edited by SLW210
Added Code Tags