Assistance with 3D drafting

Wilbri

Some things to keep in mind.

Wire frame models depict a three dimensional object by showing us its edges.

Surface models are made up of infinity thin surfaces that represent the shell of the object.

Solid models, although they may appear to look like surface models, are solid blocks of material. They are not hollow. Since it has mass we can derive certain pieces of information from them using the MassProp command.

I'm working on something for you right now Wilbri but I can wait until you are back up and running with AutoCAD 2007.

If there is any aspect of working in 3D that is covered in Omura's book that you have trouble understanding, or would like to see more examples of, don't hesitate to ask us. I, along with a few others, would be more than willing to provide you with assistance.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wilbri

• ReMark

• CADkitt

• marmo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Remark

My appologies for not replying earlier. In fact I thought that I had done so!

Yes I agree that solid models is the direction I wish to follow.

Getting along well with Omura's book, not stumped yet but I do appreciate that a good knowlege of the coordinate system is absolutely essential.

Have spent some time using Acad 2002 on a friend's PC, and must admit that I feel much more comfortable when using AutoCad as compared with my alternative CAD software, so look forward to having my client's 2007 up and running again, which it would appear to be only next week.

In a few days, God willing, I will achieve my "Three score & ten" and was wondering whether AutoDesk would be interested with acknowledging this and that I have been using their software for the past 15 years by providing me with a substancial price reduction on their software? This exceptional product, which I admit it is, retails for an exceptionally high price (+/_ $6000.00) in my country, absolutely iniqiutous in fact.

No problem Wilbri.

Wish I could help you. AutoDesk's pricing policy re: overseas licenses makes no sense to me. I think they are punishing users in Europe and Africa because of the Chinese black market in counterfeit AutoCAD software. Since they can't collect from the Chinese they have to cover their losses by charging you more.

Thanks for your comment.

Just a comment. In my search for more reasonably priced CAD software over the past tow or so year, I have estabished that most private users prefer taking a risk and are using pirated genuine AutoCad and most users tend to steer clear of the Chinese products. as they are inferior.

So I would believe that AutoDesk would be able to increase thier market by reducing their costs to private individuals.

Returning to my assumed printer problems, I have in fact discovered that the problem is with my USB ports, as my flash drive is also inoperative. (took it to a client yesterday and it works on thier PC)

Funnily enough my mouse and keybaord are also connected by USB and they work in all the ports.

Diagnostic check indicates all in order. Removed and reinstalled USB drivers to no effect.

I am wondering if I should uninstall and reinstall Windows XP.

Maybe you have some suggestions?

I was reading true this topic it's all offtopic atm but again on the 3D in autocad...

I really think autodesk reason for implementing 3D features in autocad is so users can get used to 3D and then buy Inventor.

I predict 3D in Autocad will be stopped being supported within 5 years.

So if you want to be prepared for the future don't use autocad for 3D. Or you like to redraw stuff or it doesn't matter for your company that you need to switch in the near future. And btw inventor models have information that make it possible to reuse autocad doesn't it is only geometry. And that story with the screenshots is just fail if you make one hole into a semie parametric model you lose everything. And when do you use a empty cube, well never so it has no use.

2D was predicted to die 10 years ago.

DOS was said to have died and been buried almost 20 years ago yet there are still forums where people admit to still using it.

I'm willing to bet $100 that 3D will still be a part of AutoCAD 5 years from now. Where's your Franklin?

It will be still part of it but it stays the way it is. What is the roadmap of Autocad 3D? It seems like inventor and Solidworks etc are just blasting away further and further while autocad is still fixing bugs. There so much behind that it looks all pointless.

And 2D looks pointless to you and me and a thousand other users. Guess what? They still teach it at school and it is still used around the world in a million offices and shops. Now what?

I'm not talking about 2D and I am not talking about 3D on it's own. It is 3D in Autocad that is looking like a dead cat.

Fusion could be a good way to go but... it is called Inventor Fusion.

Come one even Blender a free 3D moddeling program has better 3D features then Autocad. Isn't it obvious autodesk doesn't care bit about 3D design in autocad?

And in every 3D model there mostly more 2D sketches than 3D features ;), I didn't got any 2D drawing lessons..

I was just making a point about predictions. That's all.

It's a bit pointless then since you can say that about all predictions.

the point is what is the change it is gonna happen and who do you believe.

CAD politics... :P

My I seem to have entered into a full on "bun fight" here?

Marijn, I am sorry I did not have the opportunity of replying to your original submission, since this wold have saved a lot of what seems to me to be unecessary debate.

In reading recent discussion between ReMark and yourself and with respect to you it is very evident to me that you have "jumped in mid-stream"

By this I mean that you have not understood the reason for this thread from it's inception.

You are obviously of the younger generation who opertate a parametric solid modeling programe and produce pretty pictures, accepted.

But may I ask how and from where this facility originated?

Let's have a look. I believe that CAD came into commercial ussage in the late 1970's , early 80's.

May I ask you what happened prior to that and how have we managed to suceed prior to CAD? Well I believe history indicates that going way back in history people were capable of sucessfully providing the necessary at the time, otherwise how did we get here?

But I believe that you have missed the point here and that is that I am retired and therfore do not wish to expend my some of my precious pension monies on new CAD software, be it AutoCad, Inventor or Solid works, and if I do decide to eventually go that route after becoming adept at using AutoCad solid modeling would very dfinately go for Alibre at a third the cost of the other software mentioned.

So having said this may we return as you correctly stated, the original topic which is AutoCad 2007 solid modeling?

ReMark, I would like resume this topic once I am up and running with my client's Acad 2007 again.

I sincerly hope that this will be soon.

Yes, I'm a "younger" one I don't want to do things because some one said: Where doing it a long time there fore we should keep doing it. It seems that older people don't want to go in debate but just say that. I started btw with handdrafting 2000 in classes, so I know the history.

I'm not saying Solidworks or any advanced 3D program is the best since every one has it best and worst points.

I'm just saying there is no place for Autocad 3D and there is no clear roadmap for what Autodesk is planning to do with it.

Further more the paying Autocad 3D user group is shrinking by the minute and I speculate that this will do so until only a few are over. When Autodesk realise this(and maybe they already done so) they obvious won't put high efforts in improving 3D features in Autocad. They obvious will put those efforts in fusion or inventor. They didn't put an Inventor link in Autocad for nothing.

If you want cheap cad software your not a market for Autodesk since Autocad cost about 4000 dollar and Alibre which is 100$ is a LOT cheaper.

I don't think it is really off-topic but it isn't helping you any way but since no one wants to discuss this I am not making a new topic about it.

Marijn: May I suggest you consider restarting your debate in the Chat forum? Thanks.

Wilbri: Yes, we'll continue on once you are back up and running. If you'd like to contact me via email that's OK too.

Thanks Remark

Will do.

As you are aware, I realy would like to obtain a personal copy of AutoCAD.

Maybe you could advise me whether it is possible to acquire a copy of AutoCAD from a company that no longer uses it, for instance they have decided to move to a non-Autodesk product such as Solid Works or Alibre software or have decided to close business and have software available.

Can I obtain the software from then and re-register it under my name?

You really should direct these sort of inquiries to Autodesk or your local Autodesk reseller. We can't really advise you on what is legal or illegal in regards to the buying or selling of their software. That being said, you can search Ebay, Craigslist, etc., but whether you will be able to legally register a copy purchased from anyone other than a authorized Autodesk reseller is anybody's guess.

Thanks Remark

As you are aware, I realy would like to obtain a personal copy of AutoCAD.

I didn't take the time to look closely at the off-topic parts of this thread, but if you are a student you can download AutoCAD Inventor Professional (AutoCAD, AutoCAD Mechanical, Inventor) and 20 some other Autodesk titles for free 36-month student license.

http://engineersrule.org

OK, back to the thread topic.....

Thank you for your reply CAD 64.

My apologies, I agree that this is a legal matter concerning Autodesk and does not apply to this forum, so will direct my question to the local distributors, but having said that do not I do not expect any miraculous revelations.

Whether I like it or not in tend to in some way agree with Marjin's comments, and that is simply that one can purchase Inventor and Solid Works for the same price as full AutoCad in my country?

Someone at AutoDesk has got the arithmetic very wrong here?

Enough said, I remain a faithful AutoCAD user, provided that my client provides the software.

Thank you for your comment J D Mather.

Yes agreed be a student would be a plus factor.

With respect, I gave up being a student 5 years ago at the age of 65, so unfortunately no longer have the privilege of claiming student benefits.

Oh to be young and carefree again!

Whether I like it or not in tend to in some way agree with Marjin's comments, and that is simply that one can purchase Inventor and Solid Works for the same price as full AutoCad in my country?

Someone at AutoDesk has got the arithmetic very wrong here?

Solidworks and Inventor are both more expensive than Autocad.