Is SSD a better investment than the Velociraptor?

jimizor

I am upgrading my computer. See my signature for the system components at this point. I have a FirePro V4800, Antec TruePerformer TP-750, and CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus shipping to me at this time. With this new system, I am now thinking of upgrading my older WD 200GB 7200rpm 8mb drive which I use for OS and applications. I will still keep my WD 1TB for storage of CAD files and materials, etc.

I have read alot about the SSD and their unbelievable read speed. However, they are not so fast in the write catagory. The WD Velociraptor 10,000 rpm is a well-known solid contender for the OS drive. So can anyone shed some light on the better drive to use with CAD programs? I do 2D drafting & 3D modeling with Autocad Architecture 2011 and just starting to use Revit Architecture 2011.

If the SSD is the better drive to go with (which is what I am leaning towards), should I be looking for a drive that is good at both read/write rather than a record setting read time?

Jimi Witt

JW Designs

CPU-AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

MB-Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H

RAM-G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3-1333

GC-EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB

PSU-Ultra Xconnect 500W

Personally I'd hold off buying a SSD until such time as their performance matches and/or exceeds all the parameters of some of the faster normal hard drives out there. What is the cost per megabyte comparison?

• 2 months later...

i use a SSD as a boot drive and i also have autocad 2011 installed on it. Seriously good upgrade but i find my self saving onto my 2nd HD as i have no room on my SSD.

I priced two drives yesterday, one normal (platter) and one SSD. Both were 150GB. The normal drive could be bought for $40. The SSD was $560. Do the math. The price per GB is significantly higher for the SSD. Until they become more popular (perhaps with in the next year) I'll hold off buying one. However, I do not agree that they are wickedly fast and can take a lot of abuse that would kill a normal drive.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advertising for them, nor do I have any stake in the company, but check TigerDirect's prices on SSDs. They have a Corsair 128gb drive for $224, and a 240gb OCZ for around $600. They got some small ones in the 30gb range for about 80 bucks. Then of course there's the other end of the spectrum...a 480gb is $1800

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6371306&CatId=5300

I have my OS and programs on an SSD. I went from a Raptor to this configuration and was not that impressed with it. Once you are booted and loaded into RAM it doesn't matter that much. I think if you're more of a 'power user' and need to constantly open and close files it may be more beneficial. I usually work with the same file all day, or a small collection of files, which doesn't play into an SSD's strong points.

• 3 weeks later...