export surface?

wrmurphy81

Multiple options:

1) Use LandXML

2) Use a Data Reference (Data Shortcut or Vault)

3) Copy and paste

In most cases, the preferred option would be #2, since that keeps the Surface definition in one drawing, and any changes to the Surface are reflected in all drawings that use the Surface.

So this is just slightly off topic, but is it possible to export a DTM? I see the option for a DEM, but my client has requested a DTM file. Is this possible? Thank you!

There is no generic format for a "DTM file".

There are programs that use DTM files internally. I think InRoads is one of them. But Civil 3D cannot generate such files. Instead, the way to transfer a Surface to other programs is to export it to LandXML.

Be careful not every xml reader/writer works properly we have had problems.

A safer way if not sure is to convert the surface to 3d faces look under surface utilities.

Do both !

okay, thanks. What about sending a file for a contractor to use with their machine control? I have Trimble link and know how to transfer a surface into a trimble data collector, but what about other manufacturers? i.e. Topcon. Can I export xml for machine control?

Maybe. For some contractors, I've just given them the TIN triangles in plain Autocad format, and let them convert those to a surface using their usual software.

Just a bit more had to do just this a couple of days ago and lost export triangles knew it was there a lot of head scratching, answer you must display the triangles as your contour style then triangle export to 3d faces becomes an option.