Wetland Survey for USDA?????

joewaianae

If anyone has any knowledge on Wetland Surveys for USDA I am in need of some assistance. I need to know how to attach attributes to a poly that is the perimiter of the wetland that was surveyed. I have made the boundry a block, and added two attributes to it, but am I mistaken or not???? Aren't you supposed to roll over the block and it show you everything that you have attached to it? If not, then if I double click the block, shouldn't it show me all the attributes attached? When I do it, it takes me straight to the block editor. ANNNDDDDD THEN, is anyone knowledgable on Metadata, and .shp, .shx, and .dbf files???? those need to be exported with it???? Having trouble grasping what I need, any help would be great.

I would use ArcGIS for this type of data where there are many fields of information, that you want to add to an attribute. This is then able to printed out as a pictorial map with key/legend. As .shp files to share and swap with other GIS users and then as a table with your fields to Excel users. Simples.

Metadata can be applied to the .shp file in ArcCatalogue, although currently this can't be standardised with company details.

.shp file is a layer file in ArcGIS and can contain any type of location based data (point, line, polygon).

.dbf is those tables to give to excel users (or even get from Excel users).

At the moment, locational data (co-ordinates) are not given in the tabular data, but hopefully this changes with the new ArcGIS v10.

You have to point to the relevant point and then record the data shown at the bottom of the screen, by hand (!).

hth

cassiepomme