AutoCAD Freestyle....any users?

Jack_O'neill

I stumbled across a listing for AutoCAD Freestyle on ebay this morning. I'd never seen or heard of it before. Went looking around, found a video for it on Buy.com. Looks pretty interesting, and if it does everything the ad says as easy as it says, it's not a bad buy for 85 bucks. Anybody here ever messed with it?

I did when it was in open beta earlier this year. While it was nice I don't see why you would buy it when Draftsight and DoubleCAD are free. Freestyle seemed like a cross between a CAD program and Illustrator. While this may not be bad if this is what you are looking after. I don't see this being a big hit though :(

The only advantage I could see is the dwg format of the drawings. You can use an actual autocad drawing for a source file, and vice-versa. I could see this being a tool you give a manager or someone who occasionally has the "next big idea" to create his sketches. You could then take them straight into autocad without having to re-draw or stuff like that. Considerably cheaper than LT and should be easier on resources. Might be faster on lesser machines and certainly less hard drive space. I'm not familiar with either of the programs you mentioned, so they may do the same things and I'm barking in the wind.

I've been playing with Doublecad since you mentioned it. Pretty interesting. It will bring Autocad geometry in, but if there's anything special about it, like being a block or attribute, you can't do anything with it. If you explode it all down to just bits of lines and circles, then you can work with it. It won't even let you do anything with a polyline. I should probably point out though that the current Doublecad version is only compatible with Autocad 2009 and down.

Oh no...it's not bad at all. I've got a little job here that I did a few weeks ago for someone that I'm going to redraw on Doublecad just to get familiar with how it works. It has some interesting features and i mainly just wanna see how it all works.