For sake of 3ds max

nowikovs12

Hi everyone, at the moment I am running windows xp 32 bit on an iMac 24' as bootcamp partition, that has 4 GB RAM with 3.03 GHZ, I want to upgrade from windows xp 32 bit to xp 64 bit, and upgrade from 4 to 8GB RAM, would that increase the speed of rendering and navigating in 3ds max? :) if yes, how much faster? in precentage? and is it worth doing it? thank you, any coments upriciated appreciated

Both the change to a 64-bit system and the doubling of the RAM should positively make a difference in rendering times. Unfortunately I can't tell you what the % change would be. Make sure you also install the fastest RAM the motherboard's BIOS will support.

Have you looked at the recommendations AutoDesk re: system requirements?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13571366

While you are there also check out the info for:

64-bit 3ds Max 2011 or 3ds Max Design 2011 for Windows re: processor, RAM and graphics cards and...

3ds Max Composite Functionality on 32-bit and 64-bit Operating Systems re: Media cache hard drive requirements.

The speed of the memory module. We generally refer to this module as RAM although you'll see references to DIMM in most motherboard user guides.

You should be able to get the specs on any motherboard from the manufacturer's website. This will include the recommended types of RAM (DDR2, DDR3, etc.) and the speed (800MHz, 1066MHz, 1333MHz, etc.) the motherboard supports.

Going from a 32 bit operating system to 64 bit operating system will not affect your rendering time. I have already run tests to verify this and there is no difference. Increasing the RAM will help slightly, but if you really want to render faster you need more processors. The more cores you have, the faster you can render.

Hi Cad64, ok so really it's not worth to upgrade from 32 to 64 bit, I will propobly go for 8Gb ram, but what did you ment by more processors? is that the 3.03 GHZ? thanks :)

I think it would be very unwise NOT to make the jump to 64-bit forgetting for the moment all about rendering. The future is 64-bit. Get on the bandwagon now; don't wait.

More processors = more cores. Dual-core, Quad-core, etc. Minimum for your next computer would be quad-core. Don't stick with the old technology...think ahead and plan for the future.

Simple explanation of multi-core processors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-core_processor

Hi Cad64, ok so really it's not worth to upgrade from 32 to 64 bit, I will propobly go for 8Gb ram, but what did you ment by more processors? is that the 3.03 GHZ? thanks :)

If you're going to increase your RAM to 8GB then you have to upgrade to 64 bit. 32 bit will not support more than 4GB RAM.

In my previous reply, I did not mean to imply that moving to a 64 bit operating system was a bad idea. I was just stating that there is no difference in render times whether you're on a 32 bit or 64 bit system. But if you want more RAM then you have to upgrade. You have no other choice.

A good way to think about processors is to think of them as the people in your office. The more people you have working on a project, the faster you can get the job done.

Example:

A single core processor, (1 person), can produce a render in 2 hours.

A duo-core processor, (2 people), can produce a render in 1 hour 20 minutes.

A quad-core processor, (4 people) can produce a render in 45 minutes.

The numbers above are not exact, but I think you can understand the concept. More processors = faster render time.