Deleting sections of a layer.

rules

Hi all

I have never worked on CAD and don't see it becoming a regular thing, but for now I need to figure out some things :)

I have a drawing of a complete site and all I need to do is clean it up (remove all grids and text and and and) until I'm left with just the basic layout (doors and walls :lol:). Now what I have been doing was going through the list of layers and systematically disabeling them (which is a mess of a job, there must be like a 1000 layers in this thing), but every now and again I get the scenario where I find a layer consisting of stuff I want to delete but also of stuff I need. Is there a way of deleting bits and pieces?

I'm using AutoCAD Map 3D 2010.

When you double click on door it will open property dialog and display layer name.

Same thing with wall.

This way you will find out name of layers you need to keep.

Delete rest of them.

You might have a selectsimilar command in Map, start that, at the command line you can specify settings, then go from there to select all text, or all text on a layer, etc.

You can select the entire drawing and open properties, filter for only text, only blocks, etc., and delete those.

Otherwise you will simply have to delete by picking over and over again.

I sort of figured how to identify different sections, the problem is when removing/deleting some of them, they remove more than I want to. Can I not delete individual lines from a layer?

• 2 weeks later...
I sort of figured how to identify different sections, the problem is when removing/deleting some of them, they remove more than I want to. Can I not delete individual lines from a layer?

Unless they are seperate lines and polylines from a layer, then you cannot remove entirely. There are a few things you could try:

1) TRIM command: You can select the object you want to trim, and select the line or area you want to delete. You can also just select all the objects in the drawing and trim it out that way too. This kind of fits what you want to do, but has a few setbacks, because it will take out entire segments so you may get undesired results.

2) Break at a point: This can be found on the modify toolbar and may fit as well. This will allow you to break a polyline (or even a line segment) at a desired point. Make sure your nearest snap is turned on too, to get a more accurate result.

3) Isolate layers: This could work too, but only if there is good layer management. This is probably the least relavant, and probably won't work as well as the others. But still worth a try.

Try them all, one is bound to get the desired effect.