New career in CAD

sam g

Hi Guys

Really sorry if I am asking a question which has already been posted.

I have a degree in electronics and after years of trying to scrape around trying to find work, am hoping to venture in to the world of Computer aided Design, which I have been wanting to learn more about for ages. I have visited many career websites but thought it would be nice to hear the thoughts from the "people in the know".

Can you tell me what the pros and cons are, of this career; Cad Drafters, CAD Technicians etc?

With experience in the Electrical and Electronics industry from domestic/Industrial design and installation to Manufacturing process engineering would you see any particual area of the field I would be most suited? I know that this question depends on exact experience but general answers great.

Are there many jobs and in which areas would are there more opportunities?

I know it would depend on where you are located but what kind of money can you expect as you move up through the experience ranks?

I ahve loads more questions but if anyone can give me any feedback on these that would be fantastic.

Many Thanks.

Actually I'm trying to talk my daughter into this field. Personally I can't think of a better way to make a living. You earn what you are worth and constantly grow with the technology. I've been in it for over 20 years and now work from home a command a great income. Personally I think 3D is the way to go as the industry is heading that way but few are privy.

you can't go wrong Sam, you just need to get your foot in the door.

I wouldn't look at CAD as a career, your Electro-Mechanical background is your career. Now you need to enhance that career with CAD. As for jobs I would look on Monster.com searching for various keywords to see which jobs seem to combine your knowledge with CAD.

With your background in Electricity, I would look into an Engineering MEP firm. Just like the one I work for. MEP firms are construction based, so you would be designing power distibuition to residential, (mostly comercial), and industrial projects if you work for the Electrical department. Awesome job...I love mine!

How old are you? Serious and sadly if you could be looked at as someone just getting in the biz for the bucks. I have a friend that 28 and has a degree in History and is now taking ACAD class to be a "designer". You just do not become a designer over night. Anyway, good luck.

How old are you? Serious and sadly if you could be looked at as someone just getting in the biz for the bucks. I have a friend that 28 and has a degree in History and is now taking ACAD class to be a "designer". You just do not become a designer over night. Anyway, good luck.

no doubt, you HAVE to have an aptitude for it. btw, I was 27 when I broke into it with little to no knowledge of acad, but being an x-plumber/mechanic/roofer/etc, etc (looked for a way to get out of the ditch and into climate controlled atmosphere).... it was only a matter of time.

As far as pay scale goes, this will swing wildly depending on where you are located and the industry you get into. You can go to Augi.com and look for their salary survey for a better idea of pay per region, industry, etc. AUGI requires free registration.

Many firms are now requiring their engineers to have some experience with CAD. I think the shift is more towards engineers producing their own drawings. Works OK if it is a small firm; not sure how it would work in a much larger one. With your background why not look into a dedicated HVAC firm. Electro-mechanical skills would be suitable to that industry don't you think?

One other thought. I understand that firms that design and install wind turbines and solar panels are really snapping up a lot of talent. Check it out. Might be something in it for you too.

no doubt, you HAVE to have an aptitude for it. btw, I was 27 when I broke into it with little to no knowledge of acad, but being an x-plumber/mechanic/roofer/etc, etc (looked for a way to get out of the ditch and into climate controlled atmosphere).... it was only a matter of time.

I was along the same line, I am a fabricator welder to trade. then at 26 I went back to study CAD at college. Now I work for for one of the top metalwork companies in Scotland. The wages are good, Paid o/time and paid weekly.

It's al about the attitude and willingness to learn, If you have an engineering background then you will have a more practical approach than a graduite and should be able to overcome problems more efficently

Thanks for your replies guys. And no i'm not getting in to it for the money. There are many more things in life to earn more money than a CAD designer. Having an interest in it from an electrical angle (holding a degree in it) will hopefully give me the edge over other graduates of such subjects as History!

I am from the UK so will have to look in to what sort of positions would be available to someone with such a background and a new knowledge (soon) in AutoCAD. If there is anyone out there that is in this sort of role, would be great to hear from you.

Thanks again

Sam.