Slow heavy print to a pdf file with gray background viewport printout

zionshea

Hi all,

In certain cases viewports are printed (to a pdf file) with light gray background (like a postcard...) and the printout is very very slow. In these cases also the size of the file is much bigger.

In same file some viewports are printed OK.

I know that it happens when the viewport includes 3D display, still in certain cases also 3D Viwports are printed OK.

Please explain how can I change the viewport to print normal without that gray background and slow.

Thanks for your support.

Some older versions of AutoCAD products have issues with pdf creation.

Try an aftermarket product, like AutoDesk TrueView 2011, (free from AutoDesk). Trueview does not stuff as much overhead data into the pdf as AutoCAD does. The files are smaller, faster, and clearer. You still retain layer on/off control within the pdf too.

TrueView has the added advantage of being able to convert dwg files to and from different year releases of AutoCAD.

Hi Dana,

Based on your previous reply, I alraedy tried using the AutoDesk TrueView but it was not a complete solution for me. The pdf is always craeted OK by autocad - just sometimes -it is problematic - looks like within the same conditions suddenly the background is gray and the pdf is craeted after a long time of processing - there must be a paratmeter that can solve this issue. - hope a solution can be found within Autocad itself.

Hi Dana,

Based on your previous reply, I alraedy tried using the AutoDesk TrueView but it was not a complete solution for me. The pdf is always craeted OK by autocad - just sometimes -it is problematic - looks like within the same conditions suddenly the background is gray and the pdf is craeted after a long time of processing - there must be a paratmeter that can solve this issue. - hope a solution can be found within Autocad itself.

My solution may not be applicable to all AutoCAD vertical products. Architecture may have its own problems that I know nothing about, but I have heard prior to 2010 they all had the same issues with outputting to the pdf.pc3 directly from the layout in CAD.

Another suggestion is to reduce your dwg size by running purge a couple of times to get rid of as much residual overhead nonsense as possible.