Vertical scale exaggeration

S27

I have drawn my profile at true scale in Model space (horizontal scale 1"=20', and a vertical scale of 1"=2'). I now want to show depths of various materials in my section, if I have a material that is 6" deep, at a vertical exaggeration of 1"=2' that depth would be? It seems like such an easy thing to do but I can't seem to figure it out, having trouble with that...

Thanks for your help.

You could make a block of the profile and insert it with a y scale factor of 10

But... if you're using Civil 3D you should consider using the Profile tools. There are tutorials in Help to aid you.

You draw to true scale and the Style you use to display the profile will take care of the exaggeration.

Thank you both I appreciate it.

lpseifert: I found that method on the forum, and on other help websites but I didn't quite fully get that method.

ReMark: That is what I thought too, but I guess when I offset my section line by 6" (or 0.5 feet since I am working in feet) the depth of that material barely shows and I guess that is what I wasn't so sure of and confused me. When I did a sample plot though (and had the plot scale at 1"=2 units it showed the right depth.

Actually if you're drawing the profile, you'll need to exaggerate it also. A depth of 6" (0.5') @ an exaggeration factor of 10 (1"=20' H, 1"=2' V) would be 5'.

lpseifert: I found that method on the forum, and on other help websites but I didn't quite fully get that method.

Make a block of the profile entities

Insert the block with an X-scale factor of 1 and a Y-scale factor of 10

but as I mentioned prior, you may want to learn the tools provided in Civil 3D

j1.JPG

Thanks ReMark, I was trying to send you an email (follow-up question) question but I wasn't able to do that, do you know what the problem is? Just to clarify, if I have a material that is actually 6" deep, in my drawing would I offset the line by 0.5 or 0.25 (at that vertical scale of 1'=2')?

Edited by S27

You don't have an engineer's scale available? If not buy one. They come in handy on occasion.

My last post should have cleared up any confusion. If you are drawing with a vertical scale of 1 inch = 2 feet then a 1/4 inch will equal 6". 4x6"=24"=2' Check and mate.

We used to do our plan and profiles in 4 & 40 scale. 1"=4' vertically and 1"=40' horizontally. State of Connecticut Department of Highways standard. Once in a while some small town or city would ask for 2 & 20.

You're probably too young to remember or even have seen mylar plan and profile with an orange gridwork for the profile marked off in two-tenths of a foot between whole foot lines. Youngsters...

I am so glad we are metric !

Anyway metric version typical cross section is 1:100 1:50 if I want 6"=150mm then vertically its a factor of 20x the depth =20x.15 = 3 this is calculated simply by 1:50 1000/50 = 20 times 1:25 1000/25 = 40 times horizontal 1:100 =10 times distance

I am so glad we are metric !

Anyway metric version typical cross section is 1:100 1:50 if I want 6"=150mm then vertically its a factor of 20x the depth =20x.15 = 3 this is calculated simply by 1:50 1000/50 = 20 times 1:25 1000/25 = 40 times horizontal 1:100 =10 times distance

Yep, I think you have the OP thoroughly confused now. He was having a difficult enough time when we were talking Imperial units. LOL

Go to your Profile View style window. Select the Graph tab. There is an input box for the vertical exaggeration factor.

Here's a tip. If you measure vertical scale in a viewport, you get the model space value, which doesn't help confirm the scale. If you draw two lines in paper space with ends where you want them (say, between two elevations), you can get the actual paper distance by measuring between the endpoints of those lines.