CSV files and AutoCAD Civil 3d

cadeddie82

When the surveyor here at work creates his csv files, why is it only one column has 2 decimal spaces and another has 3 decimal spaces (x & y) I need both columns at 3 decimal spaces

I tried making it show 3 decimal spaces but every time the file is closed and re-opened it goes back to default, showing only 2 spaces on one and three on the other. I tried changing Excel setting to 3 decimal spaces and it still wont work.

I can go in there and make it show 3 decimal spaces during the session but once it closes it doesn't save the settings.

CSV files are comma delimeted text files. Open the file with NOTEPAD and the data given is probably only two decimal places.

If you want to display three decimal places anyway, save the file as a XLS and then format the columns.

Can you post part of the csv file that is giving you trouble?

When I open up a csv file in Excel, it shows all the digits that are available, but suppresses trailing zeroes.

So your saying that by default "csv files" will put my northing coordinates at 2 decimals over and easting coordinates at 3 decimals over?

Can you post part of the csv file that is giving you trouble?

When I open up a csv file in Excel, it shows all the digits that are available, but suppresses trailing zeroes.

these csv files are being created by a data collector, does that matter?

these csv files are being created by a data collector, does that matter?

Once you have a csv file, you should be able to control the format. But without my being able to see for myself the figures, I am somewhat in the dark.

Once you have a csv file, you should be able to control the format. But without my being able to see for myself the figures, I am somewhat in the dark.

I was trying to attach the csv file, but it told me the type of file was not valid.

The original data only has two decimal places, so the extra third decimal place is always going to be a zero. When a csv file is opened up in Excel, the trailing zeros are always going to be suppressed, so there is no solution to your problem.

csvfile.jpg

The original data only has two decimal places, so the extra third decimal place is always going to be a zero. When a csv file is opened up in Excel, the trailing zeros are always going to be suppressed, so there is no solution to your problem.

cant seem to make it stay at 3 decimal places when doing a save ass? (the info that was brought in DOES have data up to 3 decimal spaces over). it just didn't transfer to text because of the same reason :cry:

My guess is the problem is something in your data collector. Your data collector has a template or something similar that tells it how to dump data in various formats, and for some reason, that template in your data collector is set to dump the Northing rounded to 3 decimal places, while the Easting is at 2 decimal places.

I agree with Sinc chase your data collector providor, but it does not matter if you said you wanted 8 decimal places then x= 123.45000000 is exactly the same as 123.45 as far as any mathmatical calculations are concerned because thats what is being entered. 123.456789 is different to 123.45

If you open the csv file in Excel and format the columns to numbers with three decimal places and then resave the file, the resulting csv file will have trailing zeros. Just as in the example above from Eldon.

What kind of data collector are they using. We have Leica, Trimble, Zeiss and Husky and the templates we use all produce coordinates to three decimal places. Bearings are saved to seven decimal places.

The templates are easy to modify, if there is an error in there and there are only two decimal places defined for the eastings. Your surveyor should be capable of checking it and modifying it if necessary.