How to use push/pull at a specified angle?

Posho91

Hi again folks,

Encountered another issue with my model, I have windows which i want to create above the ends of the beams on either side as in the picture, ive created the window boundary with lines then used push/pull to try to push the window spaces down, but since my roof is already pitched, the push/pull tool is going at the wrong angle as you can see. Is there a way to change the angle to stay on the z axis...or an alternative method? thanks.

acad prob 2.jpg

Press-pull will always extrude perpendicular from the profile. You can either angle your profile with the roof pitch or use dynamic ucs and draw your profile on the already angled surface.

KC

Set your ucs to desired plane before drawing the profile to presspull.

You might also investigate Sweep as it might be easier depending on your design intent.

interesting, can you comment on how to do this

im only 15 but ive been working with autocad for 2 years now,

ive worked on autocad 2002 i believe, and 2010 . at the moment i use autocad 2011,

what i used to do in this type of scenerio was that i got the measurements and created a line to mark the lenght and width, then i created a box using those lines and extruded to desired thickness

i know about

global illumination,

rendering settings

using solids tab for union, subtract, ahhhh *** i know "almost" everything on autocad 2010 and 2011 except working with layers, i dont know nothing about working with layers :(

"Almost" everything? Damn you're good.

But you know nothing about working with layers? Sorry. Go to the back of the class. The efficient use of Layers in AutoCAD is a fundamental every user should be well acquainted with.

Sorted this in the end using boxes sunk into the top of the roof, then subtract.

My laptop isnt coping very well though, i've got 4gb of ram but I have to save frequently and close/open ACad to flush the ram else i get 'out of ram' errors. Sigh...

Still, i'm starting to get the hang of the different tools.

acad prob2 02.jpg

My laptop isnt coping very well though,....

Looks like you have a lot of duplication of parts - I assume you are xref -ing one part for each identical item?

Errrrr no. I'm not. They're arrays from groups made in the same drawing file. And having just googled 'autocad xref' i feel like a complete idiot. :oops:

I guess that would smooth things out rather a lot.

im only 15 but ive been working with autocad for 2 years now...i know "almost" everything on autocad

:lol: Dude, I've been using AutoCAD for over a decade now, and I know a lot about it, but not even close "everything."

Errrrr no. I'm not. They're arrays from groups made in the same drawing file. And having just googled 'autocad xref' i feel like a complete idiot. :oops:

I guess that would smooth things out rather a lot.

Well, there is a learning curve for that as well, but it might significantly take care of your slowdown problem on an assembly of parts.

Do not underestimate the power of a 15 year and his computer.

And I hate layers too for some industries layers are complete bull****. That's why you won't see layers in Inventor or solidworks etc.

btw with layers reactors from leemac in my industry you can close the layers menu almost completely.

That's why you won't see layers in Inventor.....

I guess you aren't very familiar with Inventor....

Probably best to keep this discussion on AutoCAD.

Not sure what the problem would be with using layers in AutoCAD?

Around here - set it in standard template and forget it.

Layers.jpg

here are some random renders of stuff ive done, 2 look blocky but i couldnt find the finished renders >:0.If you have been working for autocad for over a decade, then your view of information would be too broad since you might have been working with autocad versions 2002-2010 or 2011 depending on economic status, instead of just focusing on 1 or 2 autocad versions. which i have lots of time to do by just sitting down with autocad 2011 and going off at random modeling from stools, to kitchen cabinets, to large tv furniture/centerpiece like the 1 above, and some others i got in a rusty external hardrive (not actually rusty). layers are simple i messed with them because of remarks comment about "back of the class for you" , I seperated my current project into catagories : master beed room, 2d bedroom, 3rd bedroom, Kitchen Appliances/objects, quite simple, hide unhide, freeze unfreeze :shock:, and btw dont forget im 15 so dont expect something like a rotating skyscraper rendered with perfect illumination and refractions

00.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

kitchen final.jpg

000000.jpeg

image001.jpg

kitchen fina 02l.jpg

image002.jpg

We all have to start somewhere.

I think that someone who has experience with many versions of AutoCAD rather than just one or two will have more of an appreciation of how AutoCAD, or any software for that matter, has matured. They'll also probably know more ways to do something than you can imagine. Experience does still count for something.

btw dont forget im 15 so dont expect something like a rotating skyscraper rendered with perfect illumination and refractions

But that's exactly what I would expect from someone who knows

"almost" everything on autocad 2010 and 2011

:P