What Product Do I Need For Showing GPS Points and Their Elevations?

Jkirch

Hi,

I'm relativity new to autocad and I need some help as to what product should I use and the best way to accomplish my goals.

I have recently taken a detailed survey of a lake, I have over 17,000 GPS points and their Depths. What I need is a way to show these depths to my customer in basic terms but also highly detailed to see the depth of any specific point. Ive searched around on the internet and so far it looks like Maya would be great for showing a 3D presentation but I don't know if it would be possible to show the depths on paper with it. What do you think would be my best options?

Thanks for all the help.

AutoCAD Civil 3D will be able to import your GPS points as normal points, Civil 3D points or as a point cloud. When you have read in the points you can create a digital terrain moden that can be displayed in various styles and will give you a height (depth) at any point within the boundary of the DTM. What you can do with your data is almost up to you. We did a couple of similar surveys a while ago on a couple of rivers and the results were all we wanted and the client was more than satisfied.

Following on from Tyke you could display contours, you can display depths as colour bands (different contour style), you can view the lake in 3d based on the mesh.

label the height of points 17,000 not sure, probably not readable.

Drape a photo over the 3d model

Thanks for all the help. Civil 3d looks to be exactly what I need.

Not to get too far off topic but, I've been trying to import my points for a couple of days now and I'm stuck. The problem is I don't know what format these coordinates are in. (2785.8907 -7017.6682) Its a lake in Lewiston Idaho. When I import the points, autocad is seeing them as meters and .0001 is very hard to see.

I am afraid that I do not use Civil3D, so I am unfamiliar with transformations.

Perhaps some kindly soul will rescue you from your predicament :)

Might this be the place?

If it is, then your coordinates are in decimal minutes of Latitude and Longitude.

[ATTACH]25638[/ATTACH]

wow i new too , how you do that ?

Sorry for being such a noob, but I don't know much about different coordinate systems.

Every time I try to import my points I get this warning:

"A non-LL coordinate zone must be set for this drawing when

latitude, longitude, or grid coordinates are used in a format.

No points were transferred from the source."

I've converted all my points from decimal minutes to decimal degrees (thanks eldon) because there is no decimal minutes option, only decimal degrees, but I still get the same results.