How do you differentiate between 'design' and 'drafting'?

jackson6612

You asked for a variety of explanations, so here's one with a different slant.

To me there's a grey area between designing and drafting. Suppose my boss wants me to draw a parking lot. He can give me dimensions to every curb, the exact number of parking spaces, and so forth. In effect he's working out all the details of the drawing and leaving me to transcribe them into a digital form. He's done all the design, and I've done all the drafting.

At the other end of the scale, he may give me general boundaries for the parking lot and a desired number of spaces, then let me work out the details. I've done practically all of the design and all of the drafting.

What usually happens, though, is something in between. He has a rough idea of how he wants the lot to look, so he gives me a sketch, and I have to fit it into the available space. He's done some of the design, and I've done some of the design. This happens with grading as well--he'll set the elevations at either end of a slope and leave it to me to space the contours evenly.

The grey area depends on what you consider true designing. To me it means making decisions when there is room for making decisions (sometime there isn't). I could lay out parking spaces horizontally or vertically, I could add islands of various shapes, I could make the corners square or round. On the other hand, there may be regulations that limit my options, such as mandating islands with trees no more than 80 feet apart.

That's somewhat different from creativity. Fitting a finite number of features into a finite space can be a simple job, or it can be hideously complex (math types call it the Knapsack Problem, and you can prove that there is no best answer). Creativity is when you redefine the problem as something you can solve instead of hammering away at something you can't. In other words, if you've been trying to put a square peg in a round hole, ask yourself if it's better to make the peg round or the hole square.

Hi Angel

I found your reply very helpful. Thanks a lot.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jackson6612

• Jack_O'neill

• Dana W

• irneb

Does that mean todays architect is not in the same league as the original?

Actually, you'd be pretty accurate with that statement (or question). Back in the day, the architect was the master builder and engineer. He was the know it all, and rightfully so. He was on site directing the project, coordinating everything as well as communicating with his/her customer. Today, most of the architects (note that I said MOST, not ALL) take the approach of "you signed off on the drawing, it's out of my hands" due in large part of the AIA's attempt to remove as much liability from the architect as they could. In fact, I personally know of a few architects that purposely draw details that will not work, forcing the GC to make a change on the fly just to further remove their liability from a project. This way, if something were to fail in the field the architect can fall back on the "you didn't build it the way I specified, so it's not my problem." In most cases that I've witnessed, once the drawings are given to the owner the architect is nowhere to be found.

I can even share a personal story from when I was a material estimator at a lumber yard. I was doing a layout for I-Joists on a house that was designed by a very rude architect, but some of the dimensions were missing from the drawing to tell me exactly where some of the structural elements had to be placed. I called him and asked for the dimensions and he had the audacity to tell me that we should pay him to review the drawings again. I simply said "weren't you already paid to make sure you're drawings were correct?" and hung up on him. The contractor and I figured it out and the project was completed without a problem.

On the flip side of that, I've also been fortunate to work with some truly great architects that have gone out of their way to make sure that the project went as smoothly as it could. They have stuck it out to the end of the project and were pleasant to work with.

I personally know of a few architects that purposely draw details that will not work, forcing the GC to make a change on the fly just to further remove their liability from a project. This way, if something were to fail in the field the architect can fall back on the "you didn't build it the way I specified, so it's not my problem." In most cases that I've witnessed, once the drawings are given to the owner the architect is nowhere to be found.

It's guys like that who give architects a bad name. :glare:

In fact, I personally know of a few architects that purposely draw details that will not work, forcing the GC to make a change on the fly just to further remove their liability from a project. This way, if something were to fail in the field the architect can fall back on the "you didn't build it the way I specified, so it's not my problem." In most cases that I've witnessed, once the drawings are given to the owner the architect is nowhere to be found.

On the flip side of that, I've also been fortunate to work with some truly great architects that have gone out of their way to make sure that the project went as smoothly as it could. They have stuck it out to the end of the project and were pleasant to work with.

You can find this to be true in all walks of life. My exposure to this situation comes mainly from the curtain wall business, and I have encountered architects that will do anything they can to help you, and others who have a god complex, and how dare a lowly draftsman ask them a question. But I've seen it in all the trades too. There are concrete contractors that will call and apologize if the opening is a quarter inch off the mark, and others that think if they poured in the right town it was close enough. The bottom line is that we all have to work together, and inspite of our own opinions to the contrary, we are all fallible human beings who all have our moments of stunning inspiration, and moments of sheer stupidity. All of the trades are equally important to getting the building up and functioning. The buildings of today are far too complex for any one man to be an expert on every aspect that goes into it. The telecom requirements alone for a building with a hundred floors is a staggering prospect. You've got to rely on and trust the people that do these things every day, and be able to deflate your ego enough to realize that just proclaiming something to be so does not necessarily make it so.

• 3 years later...

One of the problems is that language changes with time.

Years ago 'designer' generaly meant 'inventor'.

Over time it has changed meaning.

You can be a shoe, or handbag, or clothes designer. Meaning you sketch something that looks pretty.

You can be an architectural designer. Meaning you imagine how to use materials in new ways to make buildings.

You can be an engineering designer. Meaning you work out how to use materials to make a product that fills a users need.

etc,etc, the word DESIGNER has come to maen a lot of different things.

A DRAUGHTSMAN, or Draftsman, on the other hand is someone who produces drawings that show others how to actually make these things.

Designers are usually draughtsmen as well. (Except the shoe and handbag people).

PS. A draughtsman used to be somebody who wrote legal documents for a laywer, nothing to do with drawing at all.

why i asked is ,,,,all r explaining me in a lengthy manner...can any1 explain me in different way ...giving known and best instance
Simplistic answer then:

Drafting = drawing something to be made physically, usually after it is designed.

Designing = describing something from your imagination, usually by drawing it.

In even more broad sense: Designing = art; Drafting = technique.

But note, as nukecad's said, language has changed and the above isn't a one-size-fits-all answer, never mind that there are overlaps and or different understandings depending on scenario. Some of the above is definitely WRONG in some cases. There is simply no single answer to this question, that's why nearly everyone answers with qualifications to their answers.