AutoCAD to 3Ds Max layer issues

johnnybean

Hello . Im trying to bring a model of an interior into 3Ds max2011 from AutoCAD 2011 and the issue is that 3Ds appears to bind all the objects on a layer to form a

single entity . When i select 1 door on the door layer , they are all selected.

Certainly this has got to be something simple im just missing , but I cant seem to

find the fix. I select Layers,Blocks and Hierachy / entity etc. and no matter the selection when importing ,the items of a layer are bound as a scene parent.

Any help on what i need to do to correct this problem would be greatly appreciated.

I tried Entity however the file then took 25 mins to load and crashed upon trying to manipulate it . Well . . . . I shall try again then . Thanks for the info .

:o 25 minutes? Something's wrong. How large is the CAD file?

Run an Audit on your Autocad file to check it for errors.

Also, make sure the entities in your CAD file are located at X0,Y0,Z0 before importing. Max doesn't like it when objects are too far away from the origin.

Ok Ill try that . there are a few Corbels done in mesh form that have 120,000 vertex`s , would it be better if they set as a block in Autocad first ? I stall try again and see how it load . Thanks for your help !

there are a few Corbels done in mesh form that have 120,000 vertex`s

That could be a problem. You might be better off importing individual pieces, rather than trying to do the whole scene file all at once.