Grid Surfaces?

spittle

Can I use ordinary contours, breaklines and points (whatever I get in a survey) to make a grid surface? Instead of a TIN surface?

If so, how? I've tried without succcess.

You could create the tin from your survey data then create points on a grid from the surface or you can export the surface to a DEM which is likely what you'd be looking for. Just right-click the surface in the toolspace > prospector view > export to DEM.

No it worked fine thanks, that was exactly what I wanted to do, though I now reallise it's not going to help for what I'm trying to do, I'll stick with the TIN.

As you may be aware, surfaces created in civil 3D can be a little messy, even the tidy ones when to compare to how flowing you can make a mesh in 3DS Max.

I plan to import one into 3DS Max and then I'll add some textures etc. I thought with a grid surface I'd be able to smooth it out easier but there are some pretty well defined holes dug out of my surface that I need to keep and if I leave enough space between my grid lines to make adding any iterations (same as how a spline works) effective then I'll loose the detail I need on my edges.

Guess I could re-model the holes again once in Max and add a few chamfers so the holes won't be effected...

Structures are going to be built in the holes and the landscape has been graded from the edge of the holes outwards. Ideally we want to create a series of images showing the workflow.

I guess it's not essential to to keep the holes once it's in Max (in Civils they're calculating the cut & fill) but there will still be some triangles that don't look pretty that I want to smooth over.