What software do you use for residential architectural work  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What software do you use for residential architectural work

• Autodesk AutoCAD
    • Autodesk Revit or Standard Architecture or ADT
    • Softplan
    • Microstation
    • Other

What software do you use for residential architectural work? If not post on poll please include with "other".

Edited by Currahee

usually chief architect will suffice

For most residential applications chief architect is easy and fairly universal

autocad is a much better written program and once you get the hang of things you can really move.

try autocad free trial @ http://www.autodesk.com

Plain AutoCAD but then again I'm no architect nor do I work for an architectural firm. I do it as a sideline for friends, family and coworkers.

My dad is an architect, and he uses plain Ole autocad.

The vertical products do what custom LISPs and blocks and such did for the industry specific, back in the day... Right, ReMark..... back in your day?? :-)

JPlanera:

Don't know what day your talking about. Are you using a Gergorian calander?

Somewhere between 1 K'atun and 1 B'ak'tun ago...

My dad is an architect, and he uses plain Ole autocad.

The vertical products do what custom LISPs and blocks and such did for the industry specific, back in the day... Right, ReMark..... back in your day?? :-)

Back in the day I used a big board, T-square, some triangles, some pencils, erasers, dividers, compass and a big sheet of paper.....and that day was not so long ago.

Now when It comes to drawing mechanical...I wouldnt give up my 2010 for all the past versions...it is just that good (once I removed the ribbons and customized my tool bars)....but my Architecture 2010...I just cant stand it...I get twice the work with the old ADT.

I am a residential architect..for a long time now...started with a Mayline parallel bar and electric eraser about 40 yrs ago. I use Rhino for 3D modeling, Cinema4D and Maxwell for rendering and plain old autocad for all my construction docs. I used Archicad for several years...found the BIM "solutions" not to be my cup of tea :wink:

Regardin BIM soloutions its interesting being involved in an add on package the vast difference between client requests always remember a prospective client asking to zoom in on the windows that had been drawn in seconds and asking why he could not see the timber moulding shape. My question to him was had he ever done it to any of his plans and likely to do so answer No but he had to have that 3d answer even if he never used it. If you make 80% happy your on a winner.