AEC Objects In CAD

Skybeorn

I am not quite sure on what AEC objects are... I realize they have something to do with blocks. I attempted to search in the forum for answers but no luck when I search (AEC) maybe i should be in a different section.

I guess my idea was to explolde these AEC objects as i have no use for them, but maybe it would be better to keep them. However I don't see a Huge use for these blocks unless the info in them could actually be useful.

If its of any use i work in a faciltiy mangement postion as an autoCAD tech and a Facility Information Manager. I basically Track building space, Write PMs, and help with move managment and other related items.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

-Skybeorn

Yuo've probably come across the "vertical" products AutoDesk do: Architecture, civls, etc..

These produce AEC objects - so that walls can be treated as walls, roads as roads. Standard AutoCAD recognises these as special objects but can't deal with them directly so more-or-less treats them as blocks.

If these objects are exploded they *do* turn into lines, circles, hatching etc., but they can't be turned back into AEC objects. I'd suggest you think very carefully about what you stand to gain by exploding them and who future users of the drawings might be (if you explode them then send them back to the architect who produced them you could wind up being *very* unpopular!).

dJE

Danellis,

Thanks for the info, i guess i will look into these a little more deep, I myself just run Vanilla CAD.

I guess they really don't affect my drawing in any way. I was just trying to determine what use they would be for me. If i kept the AEC objects would there any huge advantage if i were to upgrade to one of the vertical products?

-Skybeorn

• 1 year later...

AEC - Hi. I was also interested to learn more about AEC objects. First of all, what does the acronym stand for? And what do you mean by vertical products?? Sorry, I'm just getting into this aspect of AutoCAD.

Jon

AEC = Architecture, Engineering, & Construction.

You will find AEC Objects in what is called "vertical products" of AutoCAD. Basically, AutoCAD is the core application of more advanced tools and capabilities that are specific to certain disciplines, such as architectural or mechanical or electrical, etc. AEC Objects are just that: Objects. They aren't lines or arcs, but intelligent pieces of geometry, usually 3D geometry. AutoCAD Architecture, or AutoCAD MEP are some programs that utilize and leverage the power of AEC Objects.

So if you're planning on designing in a discipline specific industry, then look into it. They are very good tools that plain AutoCAD simply cannot offer. :)

Thanks for the info. So, If I was using AutoCAD MEP 2012, AEC objects would be the pumps, boilers fans etc that I can put in the drawing?

Jon

Just note that if you are dealing with AEC objects from a vertical that you don't have, you need to get "Object Enablers" (free) from AutoDesk for them to appear correctly.

Thanks for the info. So, If I was using AutoCAD MEP 2012, AEC objects would be the pumps, boilers fans etc that I can put in the drawing?

Jon

You can still use standard 3D Solids for pumps, boilers, fans, etc. It's when you use the MVPARTCONVERT command, or use the Content Builder that you convert or create an AEC Object.

Here is a random image I found on Google of the AutoCAD MEP Style Manager: http://www.cadengineeredsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Style-Manager-Documentation-Objects-Property-Set-Definitions-Pipe-Object.jpg

Notice all the "Objects" categories (they are categorized using Windows Explorer folders). These are all the "AEC Objects". Notice they are broken down into Arch, Electrical, HVAC, Piping, Plumbing, Documentation, Multi-purpose, and Schematic. Each category has subsequent categories and "styles". These are the magical entities that make an Autodesk "vertical product" what it is. A lot of this content is built in right out of the box. But it's usually generic stuff (generic wall style, or generic piping system, for instance). It's when you start creating your own content, which is the AEC Objects, that you start leveraging a lot of powerful tools and commands.

Hope this explains things better. :)

• 2 years later...

Everyone did such a wonderful job of thoroughly answering the questions and we were all so cordial to each-other.

I just wanted to say GREAT JOB and I do mean it, if there is one thing 43 years of life taught me it's that you can ALWAYS learn something more in building/construction/design/architecture!

AEC = Architecture, Engineering, & Construction.

You will find AEC Objects in what is called "vertical products" of AutoCAD. Basically, AutoCAD is the core application of more advanced tools and capabilities that are specific to certain disciplines, such as architectural or mechanical or electrical, etc. AEC Objects are just that: Objects. They aren't lines or arcs, but intelligent pieces of geometry, usually 3D geometry. AutoCAD Architecture, or AutoCAD MEP are some programs that utilize and leverage the power of AEC Objects.

So if you're planning on designing in a discipline specific industry, then look into it. They are very good tools that plain AutoCAD simply cannot offer. :)

• 6 years later...

Hi ... I am dealing with these objects right now as well.  I have vanilla cad and got some cad files from a client and the files have these objects in them.  I can not modify them without exploding them either!  What I am still uncertain about is which is easier; since i have a paid subscription for cad i am aware i could just download acad architecture and use it for these files so i can manipulate these objects without exploding them but i am beginning to suspect (from help on this site) is that another option might be to get the "toolset" alone downloaded from autodesk and install it into my vanilla cad?? If this is truly an option then my question is which would be easier??