3D Dynamic Block

resullins

I know, I know, everyone says it's impossible... but you guys are smarter than them, so I had to come here.

One of the problems we face in what I do is equipment rack elevations. We've traditionally just done them from the front, showing all the gear, blah blah blah. However, there are apparently some very stupid engineers out there that like to put a 2" deep video DA right below a 20" deep amplifier, making it completely impossible to hook up.

So my company wants to start making side views of these rack elevations to prevent the above-described stupidity. As opposed to making a separate blcok for every single piece of gear we use, I thought it would be easier to make something that I would simply import, with a variable for the depth.

I'm not very good with the seriously advanced features of AC, but you guys seem to be... so we'll see!

Have you tried making a 3D Dynamic block? It is limited but possible. Sounds to me you just need to make dynamic blocks of a front view and another of the side view.

Have you tried making a 3D Dynamic block? It is limited but possible. Sounds to me you just need to make dynamic blocks of a front view and another of the side view.

I would do that, but I don't trust people to have to work with two different objects. They'd screw it up. So I was hoping to make it all into one process.

I haven't tried playing around yet. Right now I'm on a trial version of AC LT (due to the VERY limmited capabilities of the computer I'm on), and my full version doesn't get here until my computer does next week. So right now I'm just researching. I've never had a reason to use dynamic blocks in all the years I've used AutoCAD, so I just have to wait for my new lisence I'd guess.

You should be able to place both views into the same dynamic block, if that helps. Give me some examples of what you need and me and/or others may be able to work something up.

Sounds like a perfect job for Autodesk's next-generation product, Autodesk Inventor. Maybe you could work up a cost/benefit analysis for your boss and show how it would actually save you money.