AutoCAD 2012 New Feature Summary

rkmcswain

It it improved in that you don't have to know the FIRST part of the command/sysvar/etc.

There have been many times I know "part" of a command/sysvar, but not necessarily the "first part" - and the TAB trick doesn't help at all.

Now I can type in *TIP* when I'm looking for something to do with tooltips but I can't remember it's "ROLLOVERTIPS" :-)

I would think just the opposite would be true, what novice would even know to type in *TIP*. :D

...and it's easy to enable or disable (AUTOCOMPLETEMODE sysvar)

There was an Autodesk freebie out there a couple of years ago that did the same thing, and it had a very clunky/sluggish feel to it... the one built into 2012 does not feel like it's slowing anything down - at least so far... :-)

Just call me and anyone else with 20+ years of AutoCAD novices. :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rkmcswain

• Cad64

• SLW210

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doesn't 2010 have the search bar in the AutoCAD start bar button? Why complicate things when you already have the feature built in elsewhere?

All I know is that we won't be getting 2012 on account of us cancelling our subscription because our old machines won't run 2011 much less anything newer. Hopefully that subscription cash can be put towards some actual CAD machines and not whatever Dell or HP happen to have on offer that month.

Am I the only one that HATES the new array? It's more work, and it doesn't remember your inputs. I've already requested a CLASSICARRAY command.

Also, there seems to be a glitch when I'm trying to viewport a XRef, nothing shows up in the viewport? Viewporting works just fine for any actual objects in the model tab, just not the XRefs. It's very odd.

Oh... but let me tell you how much a freaking LOVE the fact that SNAP doesn't envoke until you're doing something. It's REALLY hard to select something properly with SNAP on.

I always disliked the array dialog and almost always used the command line. I find the new array very easy to use. They should have left a classicarray for a few releases.

Am I the only one that HATES the new array? It's more work, and it doesn't remember your inputs. I've already requested a CLASSICARRAY command.

Wow, HATE is pretty harsh... I always thought the old array was rather limited. You can even access the array function during COPY... That can be pretty handy. It seems AutoDesk has ported a lot of Inventor and Fusion technology into the new AutoCAD... That's a good thing...

[video=youtube;GNid4f9-5IE]

KC

I still don't get how Autocomplete will be useful to anyone other than a novice. If you're trying to find a system variable, that means you don't know what it is, correct? So how would you even know what to start typing in at the command prompt?

For the reasons in the second paragraph here.

I would think just the opposite would be true, what novice would even know to type in *TIP*

Huh? Who is talking about novices?

I'm talking about any user with better things to do than memorize 900 command names and 800 system variable names....

For the reasons in the second paragraph here.

Yes, I understand that, but I'm still turning it off. On the rare occasion that I need a system variable, I can look it up in the Express Tools - System Variable Editor. I can't stand things flashing at me while I'm trying to work, whether it's highlighting objects, tooltips or autocomplete text boxes. That's just my own opinion.

Huh? Who is talking about novices?

I'm talking about any user with better things to do than memorize 900 command names and 800 system variable names....

I guess all of the ones that are saying only an AutoCAD novice would use AutoComplete...

I still don't get how Autocomplete will be useful to anyone other than a novice. If you're trying to find a system variable, that means you don't know what it is, correct? So how would you even know what to start typing in at the command prompt? When I need to find a variable, and I can't remember what it is, I open the Express Tools - System Variable Editor.

I've found it a bit faster, and pretty stable. The autocomplete would be okay for novice users, but oldies usually have aliases they know off by heart.

I must be a novice then. 8)

The AutoComplete is the same thing, albeit highly updated, as hitting Tab when you're in the middle of typing a command. I will get use out of this personally.

I have to say, the Autocomplete thing made me look REALLY smart the other day.

My boss isn't quite as saavy dat AC as I am... though he's a brilliant engineer, he doesn't have the desire to dig into the depths of the program. So he just upgraded to 2011, and he starts calling me trying to figure things out. One of the things he HATED was the Xref fading. So we're on Go To Meeting, and I'm controlling his screen. Instead of fumbling to find the setting over a serious control lag (I was controlling his computer at this point), I switch over quickly without him knowing to my 2012, and start typing XD, and voila! I now know the system variable. I switch back over to his screen, type it in, and look smart! Hee hee....

Yeah, but why would I take the extra step of having to open the drop down when all I had to do was type to make it come up in the command line?

• 1 year later...
am i the only one that hates the new array? It's more work, and it doesn't remember your inputs. I've already requested a classicarray command.

Also, there seems to be a glitch when i'm trying to viewport a xref, nothing shows up in the viewport? Viewporting works just fine for any actual objects in the model tab, just not the xrefs. It's very odd.

Oh... But let me tell you how much a freaking love the fact that snap doesn't envoke until you're doing something. It's really hard to select something properly with snap on.

arrayclassic