Isometric question

CALCAD

If I'm drawing in isometric style and I draw a line at some arbitrary angle, how do I draw a right angle? That is, a line that would be 90 degrees to the first drawn line if the 3D image were tilted into the display plane.

Screenshot.jpg

You would have to first have an orthographic view of, say, the top view with the lines drawn there. Then you would either transfer the dimensions along iso lines and connect the dots, or do an actual iso projection to locate them.

Or simply draw in 3D and use one of the iso views.

or if you draw in planometric (aka oblique axonometric) instead of isometric, it's a lot easier. but i guess that's not what you want.

rkent,

Yes, taking dimensions from an orthographic view works, but I wondered if there were a more direct way. Maybe a trig formula. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Thanks.

designerstuart,

I'm curious. Could you show or describe the planometric approach? Thanks.

rkent,

...I wondered if there were a more direct way. Maybe a trig formula

wow if your trig is quicker than a few offset lines, you are good!

Could you show or describe the planometric approach? Thanks.

to draw planometric you start with an elevation drawn orthographically, i.e. your standard parallel view. in most cases this would be your plan. this elevation remains undistorted by the 3d drawing process, unlike isometric.

then you rotate it by whatever angle you want, usually 30 or 45º, and draw the vertical lines off it, to the same scale as the principal elevation. so then anything drawn in the principle elevation would be drawn exactly as it appears on a standard ortho view, as is scaleable, with all angles shown correctly. heights are also correct, but the other elevations are necessarily distorted.

wiki doesn't seem to do it much justice but fwiw -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axonometric_projection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_projection

designerstuart,

I've done a few projections as you described, but never knew what they were called. Thanks for the explanation.

About the trig or other mathematical formula, it presumably could be written in autolisp as a general solution, making it fast and convenient, if such a formula exists.

it presumably could be written in autolisp

phew! good luck with that!

(but i am always blown away by what leemac and the lispers can do - if the numbers exist, of course it is possible somehow)

nestly,

I rarely use polar tracking and it didn't occur to me to combine that with isometric style. Unfortunately I don't have Autocad to test the idea. I use Bricscad, Intellicad and Draftsight. As far as I can tell, none of these are capable of properly using polar tracking with isometric style. When I try to align the crosshair with an off-axis line (using either UCS or SNAP), the crosshair does rotate, but does not align with anything in particular and the polar tracking seems to default to standard orientation. I'm curious to know if this really does work in Autocad. Meanwhile, I'm still interested in a mathematical approach. Thanks.

Y'all are doing it the hard way. Draw your first line, then off out there somewhere to the side of it, draw another using the perpendicular osnap. Then move the second line to the end of the first one.

rkent,

The program code looks intriguing, but seems to be missing several support files. When I have some time, I'll search them out.

Jack_O'neill,

The question is not simply drawing a perpendicular, but drawing it in isometric style. The rules are different in that mode. Thanks.

If I'm drawing in isometric style and I draw a line at some arbitrary angle, how do I draw a right angle? That is, a line that would be 90 degrees to the first drawn line if the 3D image were tilted into the display plane.

[ATTACH]26782[/ATTACH]

If your drawing is in iso, why would you draw at an arbitrary angle?

even in bricscad you can switch ortho on and then change iso toggle to get lines at right angles.

Al

It should make its own DCL file, make sure the lisp file is in the search path for autocad. Options, Files, support file search path - to see paths that are defined and to add another.

It should make its own DCL file, make sure the lisp file is in the search path for autocad. Options, Files, support file search path - to see paths that are defined and to add another.

The O.P. is not using AutoCAD, so I wonder why we are all answering his question.

The O.P. is not using AutoCAD, so I wonder why we are all answering his question.

Last time I looked at the name of this site it was CADTutor. Mathematics would be the same anywhere and many AutoCAD solutions will work. If you do not wish to provide help, that is your choice.

rkent,

Looks like I just need to get the path right, as you suggest.

SEANT,

I'll have to study that awhile. Thanks.

Thanks to all for your interest. I must now get some real work done before I can play.