• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• resullins

• eldon

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think we have a definition of the word perimeter to explain here.

The perimeter consists of the total length of only those lines that define the OUTLINE (Outside edge) of the whole image. It does NOT include any of the lines enclosed by any of the outermost lines.

For instance, If you have a ball of yarn, the perimeter would be a line defining only the circumference or outer edge of the ball, and not any of the lengths of yarn, or inner lines.

perimeter.

Tricky, tricky, tricky. draw the outside line so that it touches the outer most edge of the outermost object.

Area works, if you already know it will also give you the perimeter. Not knowing that, it would never occur to a person to use it.

OSNAP and Otracking are going to be REALLY helpful here.

...only if you're doing it the hard way to begin with :wink:

Is this some more school work?

This is about a 30 second process. That includes drinking some coffee.

Took longer to do the PICS!

If you didn't have to draw the rectangles first, you probably could have had a sandwich also.

SLW210, can you access Youtube videos from work?

@Nestly: It seems I misunderstood. I thought he needed the perimiter of what would be one rectangle encompassing the extents of the inner rectangles.

If you didn't have to draw the rectangles first, you probably could have had a sandwich also.

SLW210, can you access Youtube videos from work?

No, but I can from home.

The question of perimeter is a bit vague.

I planned on suggesting Region – Boolean Union - MassProp as another methodology, but saw that this would not always give the same result as Rectangle – Boundary.

From what I can tell the two methods would give the same perimeter length for the example geometry pictured in the original post. It would differ with the geometry in SLW210’s post, however. Should the borders of internal holes be considered perimeter?

RegPerimeter.jpg

I read the original post again, and I it doesn't seem to me that the OP is looking for the smallest rectangle that can encompass all the rectangles, but I guess we'll never know until/unless the OP comes back.

Draw a big circle to include all the rectangles without touching any of them. Start the BPOLY (or BOUNDARY) command and pick a point that is outer for the rectangles and inner for the circle. It will create 2 polylines. One is superposed to the circle, the other one is the one you need. So: crossing selection the two circular objects and delete them. Check the Last entity in the drawing -it is right the border polyline, see the props to get the perimeter.

Internal holes should be handled separately, if needed.

perimeter.jpgoh wow in all the time people took to reply the question person could have used the measuregeom command and add up all the dimensions then convert between inches and feet or the unit utilized

and varying on the circumstance he could have had to use the units command and change the precision if working with decimals, U.S. standars requires every value to be carried to the 3rd decimal place in certain fields, surveying mechanical etc...

---

EDITED!

LOLZ!!! I FORGOT ABOUT THE AUTOCAD 2010 AREA COMMAND JUST SPECIFY YOUR POINTS AND IT WILL GIVEYOU THE AREA AND THE PERIMETER!!!!!

LOLZ!!

03.PNG

haha i sound like a 6 year old.-

please reply to confirm my messege was read.

01.PNG

02.PNG

Edited by Raudel Solis
URGENT

oh wow in all the time people took to reply the question person could have used the measuregeom command and add up all the dimensions

LOLZ!!! I FORGOT ABOUT THE AUTOCAD 2010 AREA COMMAND

haha i sound like a 6 year old.-

please reply to confirm my messege was read.

In a few years time, you will look back at this thread, and wonder why you did not use the Boundary command. The answer is produced in seconds.

I tried to reproduce the complexity of the original diagram, and I think you would still be working with your method. :D

Perimeter.jpg