help finding out who's going through my computer...

Lt Dan's legs

Hello all!

I found out that the computer tech at my work left the network wide open. Meaning, all computers in the company are accessible. Word spreads like wild fire here and ever since my computer becomes sluggish at random times... I believe some people here in drafting have been snooping. I really don't want to become a snoop myself so, how do I find out without looking through their files? Is there a way to find out who mapped my hard drive?

I wrote this but I'd rather not use it because it involves snooping.

My plan was to put (i_spy) inside a frequently used command.

Removed

Edited by Lt Dan's legs

For everyone concerned this should be brought to the attention of management. If someone can spy on you then they can spy on the boss's computer too. I'm sure he would take a very dim very of that and see to it the situation was correctly immediately.

Why is it a problem if coworkers are able to access each others computers? Unless it is security clearance work, it shouldn't be a problem.

Why is it a problem if coworkers are able to access each others computers? Unless it is security clearance work, it shouldn't be a problem.

If access is restricted to drawing files or documents related to the project then you are right, there is no problem. But if I can read the entire contents of your hard drive, both business and personal related then that is a problem. Example: You have a copy of your last review on your hard drive. Would you like someone else in the company to be able to pull it up and read it? Maybe share it with others at the water cooler? What if you could read the contents of your boss's computer and find out what everyone is getting paid? Wouldn't that make for some interesting conversation down at the bar?

I think you can remove the Administrative Shares to prevent people from connecting to your machine.

Takes some Registry entries. I used to do that in an "open office."

Google "remove administrative shares"