2 Dimensions Needed

Bobzy20

I'm trying to draw this wheel from a tutorial online and I don't really understand Inventor yet and it's asking for 2 more dimensions before the sketch is fully constraint.

I can't see what other dimensions I would need so if anybody can help that would be great.

Online tutorial:

Thanks

Bob

Of course the question could be answered without guessing if you simply zipped and attached the file here.

(right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder then attach the resulting *.zip file)

While in the sketch right click and Show Degrees of Freedom (or simply start dragging endpoints and observe what happens).

My guess is that you are missing a colinear constraint between the horizontal 2mm and that longer horizontal line.

You might read this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

I would create a new View Rep (not required).

Go to the View tab and create section.

(or are you referring to 2D drawing section?)

Section.jpg

Thanks for the images always the best option, however I don’t even have that option under my appearance tab.

All I have is ‘Slice Graphics’ which is greyed out and ‘As material’.

I don’t know anything about this program.

Thanks

Bob

Edited by Bobzy20

Thanks for the images always the best option, however I don’t even have that option under my appearance tab.

All I have is ‘Slice Graphics’ which is greyed out.....

earlier you wrote,

....Also how do you create a Section View in Inventor 2012?

The screenshot I showed was for 2012 as you asked. The option is not available in 2011 version.

You would need to extrude cut a rectangle to represent a section view and then suppress or delete the feature when done in 2011.

Slice Graphics might be what you are after - but you must be in an active sketch.

Yep sorry 2012 is on order. I will continue and let you know if I get stuck again.

Thanks for your help though.

Bob

Ok how do I offset a plane 35mm like in the video...

I didn't watch the video, but -

right click on the origin plane you wish to offset and make it visible

Start the workplane command and click and drag on the EDGE of the workplane out some distance (or click and drag from a planar face of the part) to create the offset workplane. Enter the Offset distance and click OK.

(The key is to select a workplane on it's edge - the only place it is selectable.

If you can't figure it out - post back and I'll check out the video to edit my instructions.