Unlock Point clouds

Stevet

Hi,

Can anybody help me with LiDAR point clouds, having indexed a point cloud and then attached it, I then need to be able to pick a point and read off the height info from the z data (does that make sense?), but it is locked and I don't know how to unlock it. I'm using A/Cad Map 3d

Kind regards,

Steve

Hi ReMark,

Thanks for that link, its a fantastic link, I got a lot out of the tutorial.

Just working my way through now to find out how to unlock those point values.

Kind regards

Steve

Have you looked in AutoCAD Map 3D Help?

Are you trying to create an indexed point cloud data store?

BTW...are you current with all updates and hot fixes?

Hi ReMark,

I have looked in Map 3d help, (it thinks I want to be a "superuser", and guess what.... I am now, but not in the way that I want..... ) :roll:

I have updated (doesn't seem to have made much difference).

I have generated a point cloud from an .xyz file but it's still locked, then I have connected to a Survey Data Store which allows me to get the height data from the properties page of any given point (in 2d), but wont allow me to do that when I switch to 3d.

I appreciate your help so far, is what I'm doing making sense, or am I going about it the wrong way?

Kind regards,

Steve

I'm struggling too as I am not a Map 3D user. Sorry. Did not want you to feel abandoned.

Have conducted a few searches but haven't found anything specifically addressing your problem. Maybe it's a "terminology" thing (i.e. - unlock point cloud).

Is this of any use?

To export point cloud data to a LAS file

1. In the Display Manager, right-click the filtered point cloud layer and select Export Point Cloud. The Export Point Cloud dialog box appears.
  2. In the Export Point Cloud dialog box, select File of Type: LiDAR v1.2 (*.LAS).
  3. Specify a file name and location.
  4. Click Save.

Hi Remark,

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm off home now, will look at your reply tomorrow when I get back to work.

Phew..... it's been a lonnnnngggg day and I'm looking forward to a long weekend.

Kind regards

Steve

Hi ReMark,

I think I've been going about this all wrong.

This morning I stylised my Raster Surface that I generated from my point cloud and now I can see a 2d representation of the 3d surface (DEM?), which makes it easier to see which particular spot height I want, and because I'm still in 2d mode I can see from the properties of any given spot what the z value is.

I can see why the program might want to lock the individual points in 3d mode, (probably would be open to too many errors??) but I feel sure there must be a more elegant process to get to this point, so I will keep searching for enlightenment.

Thank you so much for your help ReMark, I have learned much from this encounter..... (sounds like obe 1 kenobe now :lol: )

Kind regards,

Steve

I'm trying to figure out just what you are wanting to do. You have a point cloud and want to select one point in that cloud to get the elevation of that one point?

I'm trying to figure out just what you are wanting to do. You have a point cloud and want to select one point in that cloud to get the elevation of that one point?

Hi Murph,

I have success at last, I now know how to get the info that I want from point clouds.

Just to clarify, I needed to be able to say the mAOD (metres above Ordnance Datum, I know you probably knew what that meant but I'm mindful that other people may be reading this and may not....) of any given point on a map.

You may remember you gave me some very good advice a while ago on this very subject, then other work got in the way, and now back to the real meaty stuff.

I guess I had been missunderstanding how to use the different Data Stores and what their function was, once it started to make sense in my mind it started to come together, having said that I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm an expert now..... just that thanks to you guys here at Cadtuter I'm much better informed.

:D

Just as an aside, is there any way that you can change the "z" value once you've added it to a map project, (I feel probably not, but you never know.....)

Kind regards

Steve

Hi Murph,

Just as an aside, is there any way that you can change the "z" value once you've added it to a map project, (I feel probably not, but you never know.....)

If you create a raster surface form it no with out some raster editing software. If you keep the points in a data store you might be able to edit it. I never tried or had a need to.

Thanks Murph,

The only reason I ask is because I have actually been to the site and know that there are parts (only a few) where the point elevations are inaccurate, and knowing the height of the surrounding terrain means I could, if possible, adjust the elevations at the anomaly.

I think this might be a task I will attempt when I have more time....... if ever!!

Kind regards,

Steve