Another Newbie Scale Question

psych-arch

Hello there!

Been cramming the dummies book for use with Autocad 2009, and in the last two weeks have managed to draft a cross section for my collaborative project at university.

It Looks great; however, I was trying to figure how to print it to A3 and came across the issue of scale.

Trying to fit it in the layout viewport is difficult. I have a 100m long cross section at a scale of 2:1 when ideally it should be 1:200? IS something a miss here and what can i do to remedy this problem?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psych-arch

• ReMark

• Tiger

• Englishman in Montreal

Top Posters In This Topic

Objects should be drawn in model space. A layout is created and that's where your title block and border along with any notes should go. To see your model space objects a viewport is created in the layout. It is the viewport that is then scaled.

Do you have a layout with a viewport?

BTW...text and dimensions can go in either model space or in your layout. I prefer to put them in the layout but many CAD techs elect to put them in model space. That's where annotation scale comes into play.

That's the Annotation scale. Are you having trouble with text and dimensions too?

Actually there are two scales there, one is Annotation Scale and the other is VP Scale - ideally they should be the same value.

Thanks Tiger. How did I NOT see that? Oh...there's my glasses! Who put my glasses on top of my head?

Or perhaps you were just not in PS - I just noticed that in MS it's just the one scale and that's the Annotation scale.

notice I'm not saying anything about your age remark....

oh dear didn't do that annotation scale does that mean i should wipe all my annotations?

Can i alter the annotation scale in model space after doing annotations,

I have a viewport but the scale is all funny - 2:1 for A3

oh dear didn't do that annotation scale does that mean i should wipe all my annotations?

Can i alter the annotation scale in model space after doing annotations,

I have a viewport but the scale is all funny - 2:1 for A3

Don't wipe all the annotations, by clicking on a dimension and bring up the Properties window you can change all the settings - mark more dimensions at once to make changes to all of them. You can change most in the Dim Style dialogu box I guess but I use the Properties windows mostly myself.

The Scale sounds real funny...how's your Page Setup? File - Page Setup Manager. Make sure it's set to a A3 there and plot scale to 1:1

So clicking on the viewport, when i alter the scale my curves go jagged?

A Regen (keyboard command RE) should take care of that.

Ive drawn my dimensions at a scale of 1:1 in model space?

Everything should be drawn 1:1 in Model space.

Did you have dimension annotative scaling turned on? If not, you can set the dimensions to an annotative style via the Change Properties Manager. Once enabled you can adjust the scales through the right click options.

Getting more and more confused, i guess i should start running through help.

The change properties palette doesn seem to have any scale indication as such

Made a new layout with A3 and the scale of 1:1 but i have changed it to 1000mm = 1 unit instead of 1mm, and now i cant seem to get the actual drawing into the viewport

sorry for the bother,

Changed th eannotative scale in model space under the properties manager to YES and i think all are at 1:1, hopefully this will solve my problem

Cheers!

The Annotative scale should be set to whatever scale you have on your viewport in the Layout. And I just did a test with a 100m long line, and you really can't get it in on a A3 with scale 1:200 - you need at least 1:300 to fit it.

But if you have it set to 1m=1unit then it confuses things in my mind...

So clicking on the viewport, when i alter the scale my curves go jagged?

try the REGEN command for the "jagged curves",:)

as regards the annotative scaling, sorry i can't be much help there, it confuses the heck out of me at the moment.:cry:

EDIT: oops didn't read entire thread :oops:

tiger answered it ages ago

i dont really know whats going on, im trying the one i set up to 1000mm to 1 unit isn't displaying any model at all

you're not showing any model in the viewport? Or has it disappeard from the Model Space as well? Zoom > Extents?