please help! 3D Max coodinates

charlotteh

Hi! when I import a survey .dwg into 3Dmax it gives me an message that its too far from the origin and distorts all the lines work making it unusable! I think this is because its miles away from max's 0,0,0.

Does anyone know how I can work with a survey drawing in its correct point (without having to move it 0,0,0 every time).

Thanks! any help appreciated!!

Nope. In order to work with CAD files in Max, you need to move everything to 0,0,0 before importing, otherwise you end up with the problems you're experiencing. Max is not a CAD program and it doesn't like objects being too far away from the origin.

In Autocad you can move the UCS, (User Coordinate System), and place 0,0,0 anywhere you want in the drawing. But when you import your CAD file into Max, it's the WCS, (World Coordinate System), that is used to determine 0,0,0. So to answer your question, no, you cannot move the origin to the drawing.