Draft 3ds Max Render (interior fit-out) - I would like your opinions please!

pindrop

Hi,

I am completing my draft render of an interior fit-out for an ad agency, from the image you are viewing the lobby area with a chaise longue and the lifts are located just behind it on the right hand side.

I would like some opinions on how to make the scene better, I know there are a few problems with the glass and the free light reflection in the view.

I've used Mental Ray rendering and three free lights with quite a high lume. The EV is 13.0 and I have a daylight system as well. I've been looking at this project for so many days in a row so fresh eyes would be wonderful!

My level- beginner(ish) so please don't use too technical terms!

Thanks, :D

Are you looking for ways to improve the rendered image or ways to improve the interior design? :unsure:

It looks to me like the door in the foreground, right side, is sitting too far back in the door frame. And is the wall really supposed to be that hideously bright lime green color? And purple & red couches? :sick: Some interesting color choices going on there.

• 4 weeks later...

ok so your making an itnerior scene i no longer see the image but here are some tips

Make sure you use the mental ray renderer and Have Final Gather set to at least 100 final gather points

Depending on the type of lighting set up you will need to have Global Illumination turned on. to do this you go to render set up and scroll down to find Global illumination turn it on and your set.

Now if you will be able to see whats outside a window you may or may not want to use the environment map called MR sky which stands for mental ray sky. An option is to create a daylight system and Make sure the sun is set to MR sun "mental ray sun" and the sky is your choice either IES sky or MR Sky. with Mental ray sky you will need to use the mental ray sky environment map.

A mr sky environment map can not be used with a SKY type other than the MR sky because it will block out the other. so if you use IES sky be sure to not use the MR sky environment map.

Now continuing if you go to render then finr Exposure control you will have the options to how you want 3ds max to process

The exposure. I believe Logarithmatic is the best. and after that you can adjust the exposure value by using EV decimals or by using the option below which is a photographic setup which allows for the control of ISO and f-stop

Ok now if you use the mental ray render when you click render at the bottom you will see some sliders, those are quick controls adjust the quality and detail. by default they are acceptable, but what you might need to adjust is the Final gather bounces set it to a number from 4 to 7 for greater realism. and reflections and refractions to a good number like 6. but do not go to 20 or 50 because it will be pointless and your render will take years to process "exagerated"

If you are going for realism be sure to use Photometric lights you can use a point light and it will have some default values set up for different types of standard lights like fluorescent or a simple 65 or 100 watt light bulb.

Lets go even deeper into the scenerio I see that you marked 3ds max design as your software and that is good if you are doing realistic renders, the regular 3ds max comes with a standard development kit "SDK" to create plugins, but your ok with 3ds max Design.

Continuing---- sometimes you might have some issues with lights being to dark the way to fix this is not by setting photons to 1 billion or high values. what you need to do first is check if your exposure control system is set correctly to "logarithmatic or your choice"

Next check Global Illumination and be sure its on.

Also if you created a light inside a glass object remember that if you create a simple sphere with a 4 inch radius and place a light inside of it 3ds max will process the light emitted as if the lightbulb was in a sphere with a 4 inch radius or an 8 inch diameter in case you ever see that your lightbulbs come out strangely black just make sure they are hollow and not solid

I hope you read this it will help you in the design process if your at the beginner "ish" level.

Check out my interior scene render and comment on it http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?59637-3DS-Max-2012-Interior-Scene..-quot-Comment-quot/page2

Moderator, I think that Since the main attraction in this post which was the interior scene Has been Deleted, I move that the post be deleted. does anyone else Second the motion?

• 4 weeks later...