The Dir command

Irish

Hi! new to the forum. I am learning lisp. Hopefully I can someday give back what I learn here with you guys and gals.

The afralisp tutorial talks about using the dir command to make a list of drawings in a folder.

Command: (command "dir" " /b *.* >temp.txt")

first, How do I set dir to my corrent working directory? do I need to have a cmd window open?

Second, how do I take the drawings temp.txt and open it 1 by 1.

right now I am using the (command "filedia" "0") and then

(command "open")

but that does not work.

To view the contents of a folder (used to be called a directory) the old DIR command was used. For example, to view the contents of the C:\AutoCAD directory one would type:

dir c:\autocad

You'll need the complete path to the files you want to see. For example, if your files were in a folder called 2008, under another folder called My Products the path would be:

dir c:\myprojects\2008

If you have more than a screen full of files to view at a time you could use the /p switch to pause one screen at a time. Thus, you would have:

dir c:\myprojects\2008 /p

Just thinking. Would this work with any of the new operating systems like Vista or XP? It's been a long time since I used DOS commands. Maybe you would have to open a command window first now that I think about it.

Just thinking. Would this work with any of the new operating systems like Vista or XP? It's been a long time since I used DOS commands. Maybe you would have to open a command window first now that I think about it.

it does work with XP and Vista, I use this every day for writing scripts. I can useally write a script in under 3 minutes for any number of drawings, from 10 to 1000. I add some switchs to the command though. (which I will talk about in a minute)

1. Open a command window (referred to as DOS from here on out)
  2. Change to the directory you wish to process using CD (change directory) ie CD H: would change to the H Drive (assuming it exists)
  3. DOS should say H:> at which point you could continure changing to subfolders like CD MyProjects followed by CD 2008 or instead of the 2 steps, CD MyProjects\2008 as a 1 step.
  4. DOS should read H:\MyProjects\2008> at which point you can now create the txt file. At this point, you must decide how you want to access the file ie Are you making a scr file, are you making a data file that other code will open and process the files within, or what have you. Assuming you want to make a script file, type DIR *.dwg /b/s > filename.scr
  5. The /B strips the file name to BARE mode which is only the file name and extension.
  6. The /S adds the subdirectory to the filename which is good for script files as you have the full path right there.
  7. The > is a redirector whcih tells DOS to redirect the normal screen input to somewhere else, in this case a file. Other redirects could be LPT1, whcih would make a print of the info (assuming you have a LPT1 connected)
  8. Now the fun begins. Do a search and replace to make your script and your done

Look here to open a file

http://cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26732&highlight=open+file

To get a file use

Prompts the user for a file name with the standard AutoCAD file dialog box, and returns that file name

(getfiled title default ext flags)

The getfiled function displays a dialog box containing a list of available files of a specified extension type. You can use this dialog box to browse through different drives and directories, select an existing file, or specify the name of a new file.

AutoLISP has standard function VL-DIRECTORY-FILES which return list of files inside directory specified and filename wildcard pattern specified.

(defun C:GETDIR ( / )
; (setq adwg ".dwg")
(command "filedia" "0")
(setq rpwf (vl-directory-files (GETVAR "DWGPREFIX") "*.dwg" 1))
(setq path (getvar "DWGPREFIX"))
(foreach rfi rpwf
(setq filec (strcat path rfi))
(vla-open (vla-get-documents
(vla-get-application (vlax-get-acad-object))
)
filec)
(getint "press enter")
)
)

We kick butt!8)

Thank you people!