Rotating hour glass cursor

Tyke

I have a small module that goes through thousands of entities in a drawing (at the beginning the number of entities is unknown) and changes certain properties and it takes about 30 seconds to complete. The module has several subs which work on different selection sets of different size and therefore the total number of entites to be modified is unknown. In order to show that the module is busy and not crashed out is there a way of displaying a rotating hour glass symbol on screen to indicate the module is working? Similar to the Windows rotating cursor.

It doesn't have to be a rotating cursor it can be anything. I didn't think a progress bar was suitable as I don't know the final number of entities and can't increment the counter to a maximum.

Can you not put the current count number to the command line as a prompt? It won't show what percentage has been done, but with numbers whirring up, it will show some activity :D

NumberCount.jpg

A progress bar that does not know the amount of progress keeps repeating (known as a scrolling progress bar). Why not use that?

I haven't gotten quite that far in my .net studies, but I do know there is plenty of info on creating and applying them.

A progress bar that does not know the amount of progress keeps repeating (known as a scrolling progress bar). Why not use that?

I haven't gotten quite that far in my .net studies, but I do know there is plenty of info on creating and applying them.

That would do the trick, I'll give it a try. In VB.NET you can control how the cursor displays, in this existing modified VBA not :(

@ Eldon,

That's also an idea and I don't have to worry about the progress bar.

Thanks for the ideas guys

Can you not put the current count number to the command line as a prompt? It won't show what percentage has been done, but with numbers whirring up, it will show some activity :D

I tried it your way Eldon and it achieves what I need, when I have more time I'll look into SLW's solution.

I tried it your way Eldon and it achieves what I need, when I have more time I'll look into SLW's solution.

Good deal.

It is in my experience people tend to ignore/not notice the command line and something in the center of view is much more of an attention getter.

AutoCAD itself uses the command line to show that some activities are in progress. It cycles the display of the symbols /-\ and | to create a small rotating line.

AutoCAD itself uses the command line to show that some activities are in progress. It cycles the display of the symbols /-\ and | to create a small rotating line.

That's very true fuccaro and Eldon's suggestion is really a variation on that. But I'm of the mind that SLW's suggestion fits my needs the best and I will implement my own variation on his suggestion as soon as I get a few spare moments.

Thanks guys