object snap problems

huskerguy

I'm having troubles when I go to copy or move lines or objects my snap point will pick zero origin for the point. It will randomly do this from time to time. Sometimes it won't snap at zero very much and other times it will 3-4 times in a row. I can have the cursor right over an end or corner that i want and it still picks zero. Is there a way to fix this at all? Thanks for the help.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• huskerguy

• irneb

• nestly

• Tyke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes. The marker will be on the line and it will still pick 0,0 as the point. I have mine set up to use the right click as enter and as soon as I pick what i want and right click to pick my point. It picks 0,0 for me

Yes. The marker will be on the line and it will still pick 0,0 as the point. I have mine set up to use the right click as enter and as soon as I pick what i want and right click to pick my point. It picks 0,0 for me

Does that happen after one right-click, or two?

Are you selecting the object before you start the MOVE command, or after?

Look at the Command line. AutoCAD should be prompting you to specify a basepoint. If you right-click (Enter) instead of picking a point, then AutoCAD will use 0,0 as the basepoint. If you want to specify a basepoint, then pick it with a left-click.

BTW, welcome to Cadtutor :)

For a demo on all the different copy options, go to http://www.cadalyst.com/video and scroll down to the one Tip called "All things Copy"

I'll pick my line after the move command then right click to pick a point. Thats when it just picks 0,0. I've tried boths way to pick the line first also and it still does the same thing. It just started doin this a week ago.

Thanks, hopefully I can learn some tricks of the trade from here

As nestly said

"If you right-click (Enter) instead of picking a point, then AutoCAD will use 0,0 as the basepoint."
So don't right click to pick the point do a left click to pick the point!

What i ment is after I highlight the object I right click then to enter so it knows I'm done picking other lines, so then I can left click to pick a point. Thats when it picks 0,0 without even letting me pick a point

Do it again and when you've finished the move command then copy the lines of text from the text window and paste them in a post here, so we can see exactly what is going on.

It should look a little like this:

Befehl: _MOVE

Objekte wählen: 1 gefunden

Objekte wählen: 1 gefunden, 2 gesamt

Objekte wählen: 1 gefunden, 3 gesamt

Objekte wählen: 1 gefunden, 4 gesamt

Objekte wählen:

Basispunkt oder [Verschiebung] :

Zweiten Punkt angeben oder :

Befehl:

Ok its in German, but you get the drift.

Command:

MOVE

Select objects: Specify opposite corner: 1 found

Select objects:

Specify base point or [Displacement] :

Specify displacement :

After I select the object, it doesn't give me a chance to pick a base point like it asks. It does not do this all the time. Sometimes I can pick a point like normal and then other times it picks 0,0

I've tried going slow to make sure I wasn't hitting the right click button by mistake to make sure I was hitting the left

It almost seems like there's a second ENTER (right-click) when you're trying to end the selection set. Perhaps a sticky mouse button as Tyke suggested? Instead of using a right-click to end the selection, try using the ENTER key. Does it still snap to 0,0 with a Keyboard ENTER?

Does it work OK if you select the object before starting MOVE? ... like this http://www.screencast.com/t/69SqVhPJ

Can you try using a different mouse, just to rule out a hardware problem.
I'm also of this opinion. It seems your mouse's right-click is worn out, they usually start either not clicking or clicking multiple times unexpectedly.

I can't think of any reason it would be doing that unless it's something Mechanical is doing to AutoCAD's core or some other add-on that's over-riding the base command(s). If it's affecting MOVE and COPY, I'm guessing it happens with STRETCH as well? Have you added to, or changed your installation recently?

Although I don't believe they'd cause this behaviour, (the don't for me) try reversing your PICKFIRST and PICKADD settings.

One more try .... Type a Period in front of MOVE from the command line, that should force Autocad to use the "built-in" move command.

Tried the period in front of the move and still picks 0,0. It doesn't do this all the time it's so random. sometimes I can move 4-5 times in a row with no problem and then next time it'll pick 0,0 1-3 times in a row.

And it does not happen with stretch as of yet....
Perhaps some lisp reactor (or other addon) which does something when move/copy is in effect. Though then I don't understand why this doesn't "always" happen. Usually an intermittent problem is a hardware problem, is there perhaps a key on the keyboard sticking (e.g. space / one of the enters)? Sorry, trying anything I can think of since I've never seen something like this without a faulty mouse (used to get it a lot with Genius mouses / tablets).