stavros

Bulding a PC primarily for autocad (2d/3d). It has these components;

MB: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Z68 S-1155 ATX

CPU: INTEL CORE I7 2600K 3.40GHZ 8MB S-1155

PSU: CORSAIR TX 650W V2 ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V PSU

SSD: INTEL 510 SERIES 2.5" 120GB SSD SATA/600 MLC 34NM RETAIL

HDD: SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 1TB SATA/300 7200RPM 32MB

RAM: CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE PC3-12800 1600MHZ CL9

So the thing missing is the graphics adapter. I was going for the nvidia quadro 2000, until I stumbled across amds new firepro v5900.

They cost roughly the same so i'm wondering which is the better card for autocad?

I'm also curious to whether i should get a for example GTX 580 instead? Although the computer will not be used for gaming...

I've had no luck finding answers on google and "regular" hardware forums, som I'm hoping this is a good place to ask :)

For CAD nVidia is best, IMHO. I used them for years and used a few ATI and was not impressed. There is a thread I started where the pro and consumer nVidia and ATI cards were compared and nVidia came out on top over all. Not in all areas but overall. Do a search for CGarchitect I think.

I too vote for nVidia. I've got the Quadro 4000 in a system I bought back in May. The gaming card would be fine if you are going to be doing rendering.

So even though the firegl is newer tech and has twice the memory the quadro 2000 is better, that's why i wanted to ask. the 4000 is over budget, unless i change some of the other parts

I read somewhere that gtx 580 was not necessary unless you were gaming, and a 2 gb 560ti was a better choice. True?

P.S Impressive post count ReMark!

Well it's not really that cut and dry. Here's the link...

http://www.cgarchitect.com/news/Reviews/Review076_1.asp

So even though the firegl is newer tech and has twice the memory the quadro 2000 is better, that's why i wanted to ask. the 4000 is over budget, unless i change some of the other parts

I read somewhere that gtx 580 was not necessary unless you were gaming, and a 2 gb 560ti was a better choice. True?

P.S Impressive post count ReMark!

Now for me I do mostly 2D/wire-frame CAD work but I also do a lot of SketchUp work so on my home machine I run an nVidia consumer card which gives me the best for my buck. I also play some games from time to time. My home system is out of date but I do run updated drivers on my nVidia GF6600 card. It run SU good, Acad 2012 fine and plays HL2 very well. I am going to ugrade, maybe this year, and I will get another nVidia consumer card for my personal system. I run a Quadro FX580 at work and it does fine for me there.

Given what you have selected for the other components, and their cost, I wouldn't consider the Quadro 4000 to be out of line. BTW, it handles both 2D/3D quite well.

I had a gaming card in a previous system and it performed well except it did not have enough onboard memory to handle complex 3D drawings. I don't do renderings so that wasn't a factor. This time around I also wanted a card on AutoDesk's "approved and certified" list.

That's not my post count. It's my age calculated in days. But thanks just the same.

Definitely use a Quadro. I have the Quadro 600 and it is plenty capable for what I do, but I would agree with ReMark to go with the rest of what you have specs the Quadro 4000 would compliment quit nicely. 2000 is around $450 US and the 4000 is around $775 US.

Definitely use a Quadro. I have the Quadro 600 and it is plenty capable for what I do, but I would agree with ReMark to go with the rest of what you have specs the Quadro 4000 would compliment quit nicely. 2000 is around $450 US and the 4000 is around $775 US.

Ok, i'll go for the Quadro 4000. It's about $1200 here though.

Any brand better than the other? Pny, fujitsu, hp....?

• 2 weeks later...

You've probably purchased already but...

If anything we have more bugs with Quadro 4000 now than with older consumer based graphics cards (Nvidia being less buggy than AMD). The biggest factor is if you're running 2012 or not.. this version of AutoCad is more consistent with a wider range of graphics hardware than anything I've seen from AutoDesk in the past.