Which Autocad for a small engineering company

richardwebb

Hi,

I have been getting by using Autocad LT2000 at work for the last few years but find that more and more customers are asking for CAd drawings of items we produce and I am wondering if we should be looking at updating the software.

We produce general welded fabrications for all sorts of industries including nuclear, automaotive etc. They are basic engineered items such as factory stairs, guarding, barriers etc.

We are only a small company (turnover 800k) so do not have much budget. My MD said he was thinking along the lines of a few thousand to upgrade to something, but he know less than me about it!!

What products are out there? Do we stay with LT or go for something more advanced? I would like to learn 3d but this is by no means a necessity! We may have to go for a product a few years old to maintain the budget. We would only need one seat.

Please help before my MD changes his mind!!

Thanks

We were threatened with LT a few years ago but I won the battle (to stay with full ACAD) as LT doesn't allow any programming. If you can make use of LISP, whether you can write it now or not go for full ACAD. Consider how many similar drawings you do and wonder if you could produce them quicker if the bulk of the work could be automated. We don't use many routines here and a few of the ones we do have have been superceded by in built commands but the ones we use speed up production sufficient to make it good that we don't have LT.

As for which version you need, that is where you need to contact your supplier. We have electrical which I like but it is ot as all singing/all dancing as AutoDesk would have you believe. We are not using it fully as I am the only one with any training and there is a resistance to it within the offfice. I think it would save a little time but we would have to revise our standards so I don't think the gain is worth the pain.

Mechanical may suit you better and a few years ago it was the same price as standard (in the UK) so was a bit of a no brainer if you could use the extras. Both Electrical & Mechanical can be switched to standard AutoCAD with ease.

Now whether you want to stick with AutoCAD or go for a clone is another decision.

You cannot legally buy or use "old" software at least not when it comes to AutoDesk products. So an "upgrade" from LT 2000 to LT 2004, for example, isn't going to happen.

How much time and effort have you invested in customizing LT 2000? Do you have your own library of standard notes, symbols, linetypes, etc.? If so, do you want to continue to be able to use these custom objects in any future program you use?

What kind of budget do you have to work with?

Will you be upgrading your hardware at the same time? Please don't say "no" as that's probably not a good idea.

When will all this be happening?

Do you share your drawings with other companies and do you get drawings from outside your firm that you have to edit?

You cannot legally buy or use "old" software at least not when it comes to AutoDesk products. So an "upgrade" from LT 2000 to LT 2004, for example, isn't going to happen.

Almost every commercial software license has this in there as a technicality. Although just have a look on eBay and you will see plenty of used software for sale. It is akin to how recording a television on your vcr/dvd machine is also technically against the law in most jurisdictions - yet it is something we all do.

Hi,

I have been getting by using Autocad LT2000 at work for the last few years but find that more and more customers are asking for CAd drawings of items we produce and I am wondering if we should be looking at updating the software.

AutoCad 2000 can produce CAD files that are read in the latest version of AutoCad so I don't see what the point is to your statement there.

Purchasing ACAD LT 2012 would get you some of the great new features such as the Dynamic Block Editor and Sheet set manager. Purchasing 'Full' ACAD would get you 3D and access to the API (Lisp, VB.net etc). Purchasing Inventor would get you even more (And it comes with ACAD full as standard). Finally you could go for one of the new 'Suites' which would give you more software that you can shake a stick at!

None of these options are available for a few thousand...

Don't forget that you may also need to factor in new hardware, and training (You want to learn how to use all these cool new features right!).

I recommend that you call in your Local Neighbourhood Autodesk VAR to talk you and your Boss through all the costs and options so that you can put together a reasonable budget.

Almost every commercial software license has this in there as a technicality. Although just have a look on eBay and you will see plenty of used software for sale. It is akin to how recording a television on your vcr/dvd machine is also technically against the law in most jurisdictions - yet it is something we all do.

Technically speaking...you're right. But are we in agreement that it is generally not a good idea to buy "old" software?

I'll make my position clear. In my opinion I would strongly recommend that the company Mr. Webb works for buys the latest version of whatever software they decide to go with.

Now it's your turn.

Does it need to be AutoCAd?

For $2000 US you can get Alibre Expert.

Very good option there from SLW IMHO.

If you want to stay with AutoDesk, go with the full AutoCAD since it comes with Inventor Fusion now.

Or there is the Premium Product Design Suite, sure it costs $6,495 but you really get a lot for that.

Autodesk Inventor

Autodesk 3ds Max Design

AutoCAD Mechanical

Autodesk Showcase

Autodesk SketchBook Designer

Autodesk Vault

Autodesk Mudbox

The 1st 3 are worth that price alone. Link

Can you post an example of the type of drawing you work on indicating what you company's actual input is? Maybe then we will have a better understanding of what you do and what your needs may very well be.