A lisp remove the last character of a text.

Tunnelrat

I did mean that it is new to me to know that the mtext would behave that way when it is being formatted .

Thanks for the clarification .

See... we learn something new everyday! :D

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlackBox

• Lee Mac

• Reu

• Tharwat

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just getting started with AutoLISP, how would I rewrite this to remove more than one character?

Consider the following code:

(defun c:rchar ( / e i n s x )

(setq n 1) ;; Number of characters to remove from end of string

(if (setq s (ssget "_:L" '((0 . "TEXT"))))
       (repeat (setq i (sslength s))
           (setq e (ssname s (setq i (1- i)))
                 x (cdr (assoc 1 (entget e)))
           )
           (if (< n (strlen x))
               (entmod (list (cons -1 e) (cons 1 (substr x 1 (- (strlen x) n)))))
           )
       )
   )
   (princ)
)

Welcome to CADTutor thunderfoot :)

Consider the following code:

(defun c:rchar ( / e i n s x )

(setq n 1) ;; Number of characters to remove from end of string

(if (setq s (ssget "_:L" '((0 . "TEXT"))))
       (repeat (setq i (sslength s))
           (setq e (ssname s (setq i (1- i)))
                 x (cdr (assoc 1 (entget e)))
           )
           (if (< n (strlen x))
               (entmod (list (cons -1 e) (cons 1 (substr x 1 (- (strlen x) n)))))
           )
       )
   )
   (princ)
)

Welcome to CADTutor thunderfoot :)

Thanks Lee. Works perfectly. It may take me a while to figure out exactly what is going on there though. AutoLISP is great can't wait to write some real programs of my own.:geek:

Thanks Lee. Works perfectly. It may take me a while to figure out exactly what is going on there though. AutoLISP is great can't wait to write some real programs of my own.:geek:

You're very welcome - if you have any questions when dissecting the code, just ask.

You're very welcome - if you have any questions when dissecting the code, just ask.

Could you explain each line with "; comments"?

*edit*

Starting with the "if" statement, I do understand the basics of setq, and I thought I understood if. . .

Thanks,

Reuben Shilling

Here's a quick dissection:

([color=BLUE]defun[/color] c:rchar ( [color=BLUE]/[/color] e i n s x ) [color=GREEN];; define function, declare local variables[/color]

([color=BLUE]setq[/color] n 1) [color=GREEN];; Number of characters to remove from end of string[/color]

([color=BLUE]if[/color] [color=GREEN];; If the following expression returns a non-nil value[/color]
       ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] s [color=GREEN];; Assign the following value to the symbol 's'[/color]
           ([color=BLUE]ssget[/color] [color=GREEN];; Collect a selection set of[/color]
               [color=MAROON]"_:L"[/color] [color=GREEN];; Object on unlocked layers[/color]
               '((0 . [color=MAROON]"TEXT"[/color])) [color=GREEN];; whose entity type (DXF Group 0) = TEXT[/color]
           ) [color=GREEN]; end ssget[/color]
       ) [color=GREEN];; end setq[/color]
       ([color=BLUE]repeat[/color] [color=GREEN];; repeat a set of expressions a number of times[/color]
           ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] i [color=GREEN];; Assign the following value to the symbol 'i'[/color]
               ([color=BLUE]sslength[/color] s)  [color=GREEN];; Number of items in the selection set[/color]
           ) [color=GREEN];; end setq [/color]
           ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] e [color=GREEN];; Assign the following value to the symbol 'e'[/color]
               ([color=BLUE]ssname[/color] s [color=GREEN];; Retrieve the entity name at a specific index in the set[/color]
                   ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] i ([color=BLUE]1-[/color] i)) [color=GREEN];; Decrement the counter variable 'i'[/color]
               ) [color=GREEN];; end ssname[/color]
               x [color=GREEN];; Assign the following value to the symbol 'x'[/color]
               ([color=BLUE]cdr[/color] [color=GREEN];; Return the second item of the dotted pair[/color]
                   ([color=BLUE]assoc[/color] 1 [color=GREEN];; Retrieve the dotted pair with DXF Group 1 (the text string)[/color]
                       ([color=BLUE]entget[/color] e) [color=GREEN];; Retrieve the DXF data for the entity assigned to the symbol 'e'[/color]
                   ) [color=GREEN];; end assoc[/color]
               ) [color=GREEN];; end cdr[/color]
           ([color=BLUE]if[/color] [color=GREEN];; If the following expression returns a non-nil value[/color]
               ([color=BLUE]<[/color] n ([color=BLUE]strlen[/color] x)) [color=GREEN];; If the length of the text string is greater than the number of characters to be subtracted[/color]
               ([color=BLUE]entmod[/color] [color=GREEN];; Modify the following DXF data[/color]
                   ([color=BLUE]list[/color] [color=GREEN];; Contruct a list of DXF data[/color]
                       ([color=BLUE]cons[/color] -1 e) [color=GREEN];; Create a dotted pair with the entity to be modified (1 . <entity-name>)[/color]
                       ([color=BLUE]cons[/color] 1 [color=GREEN];; Create a dotted pair with the new string value (DXF Group 1)[/color]
                           ([color=BLUE]substr[/color] x [color=GREEN];; Return a substring of the entity text string[/color]
                               1 [color=GREEN];; from the first character[/color]
                               ([color=BLUE]-[/color] ([color=BLUE]strlen[/color] x) n) [color=GREEN];; spanning the length of the string minus the number of characters to be removed[/color]
                           ) [color=GREEN];; end substr[/color]
                       ) [color=GREEN];; end cons[/color]
                   ) [color=GREEN];; end list[/color]
               ) [color=GREEN];; end entmod[/color]
           ) [color=GREEN];; end if[/color]
       ) [color=GREEN];; end repeat[/color]
   ([color=BLUE]princ[/color]) [color=GREEN];; Suppress the return of the last evaluated expression[/color]
) [color=GREEN];; end defun[/color]

Here's a quick dissection:

([color=BLUE]defun[/color] c:rchar ( [color=BLUE]/[/color] e i n s x ) [color=GREEN];; define function, declare local variables[/color]

([color=BLUE]setq[/color] n 1) [color=GREEN];; Number of characters to remove from end of string[/color]

([color=BLUE]setq[/color] s [color=GREEN];; Assign the following value to the symbol 's'[/color]
           ([color=BLUE]ssget[/color] [color=GREEN];; Collect a selection set of[/color]
               [color=MAROON]"_:L"[/color] [color=GREEN];; Object on unlocked layers[/color]
               '((0 . [color=MAROON]"TEXT"[/color])) [color=GREEN];; whose entity type (DXF Group 0) = TEXT[/color]
           ) [color=GREEN]; end ssget[/color]
       ([color=BLUE]repeat[/color] [color=GREEN];; repeat a set of expressions a number of times[/color]
           ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] i [color=GREEN];; Assign the following value to the symbol 'i'[/color]
               ([color=BLUE]sslength[/color] s)  [color=GREEN];; Number of items in the selection set[/color]
           ) [color=GREEN];; end setq [/color]
           ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] e [color=GREEN];; Assign the following value to the symbol 'e'[/color]
               ([color=BLUE]ssname[/color] s [color=GREEN];; Retrieve the entity name at a specific index in the set[/color]
                   ([color=BLUE]setq[/color] i ([color=BLUE]1-[/color] i)) [color=GREEN];; Decrement the counter variable 'i'[/color]
               ) [color=GREEN];; end ssname[/color]
               x [color=GREEN];; Assign the following value to the symbol 'x'[/color]
               ([color=BLUE]cdr[/color] [color=GREEN];; Return the second item of the dotted pair[/color]
                   ([color=BLUE]assoc[/color] 1 [color=GREEN];; Retrieve the dotted pair with DXF Group 1 (the text string)[/color]
                       ([color=BLUE]entget[/color] e) [color=GREEN];; Retrieve the DXF data for the entity assigned to the symbol 'e'[/color]
                   ) [color=GREEN];; end assoc[/color]
               ) [color=GREEN];; end cdr[/color]
               ([color=BLUE]<[/color] n ([color=BLUE]strlen[/color] x)) [color=GREEN];; If the length of the text string is greater than the number of characters to be subtracted[/color]
               ([color=BLUE]entmod[/color] [color=GREEN];; Modify the following DXF data[/color]
                   ([color=BLUE]list[/color] [color=GREEN];; Contruct a list of DXF data[/color]
                       ([color=BLUE]cons[/color] -1 e) [color=GREEN];; Create a dotted pair with the entity to be modified (1 . <entity-name>)[/color]
                       ([color=BLUE]cons[/color] 1 [color=GREEN];; Create a dotted pair with the new string value (DXF Group 1)[/color]
                           ([color=BLUE]substr[/color] x [color=GREEN];; Return a substring of the entity text string[/color]
                               1 [color=GREEN];; from the first character[/color]
                               ([color=BLUE]-[/color] ([color=BLUE]strlen[/color] x) n) [color=GREEN];; spanning the length of the string minus the number of characters to be removed[/color]
                           ) [color=GREEN];; end substr[/color]
                       ) [color=GREEN];; end cons[/color]
                   ) [color=GREEN];; end list[/color]
               ) [color=GREEN];; end entmod[/color]
       ) [color=GREEN];; end repeat[/color]
   ([color=BLUE]princ[/color]) [color=GREEN];; Suppress the return of the last evaluated expression[/color]
) [color=GREEN];; end defun[/color]

THANKS! I appreciate the time you invested in that.

:D

So the DXF codes are basically used to narrow down the accepted selection set?

Correct, the majority* of DXF group codes, along with special filter operators (using a -4 group code), may be used to form the filter list argument for the ssget function. For more information, consult the documentation on the ssget function.

*not all: you cannot filter for entity name types [DXF -1, 330, 340, 360 etc.], handles [DXF 5], or xData groups [DXF 1000 onwards]

• 3 weeks later...