Trying to make a sofa look more realistic...

ironman

I drew a 3d sofa in cad and I imported it in 3d max. I have never edited shapes in 3d max - I usually just model in cad, import into max, add my materials, and done. But, I cant model a realistic looking sofa in cad. As you can see from the image I posted, the couch pillows look very flat and lame. I tried adding a 4x4x4 modifier, but it looked silly. I've looked at tutorials, but they only talk about pillows in a square or rectangular shape.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks for any help.

sofa 3d.jpg

Can you post some unrendered screenshots, with edged faces enabled, so I can see what kind of edge flow you've got going on? Or post your .max file so I can take a look.

Have you tried applying a Turbosmooth modifier?

Do you have a photo of a couch with the type of look you're trying to achieve? What do you want this couch to look like?

k.. start here...

go on google images and search for couch...sofa etc.. you will see that the cushions are not really thin but rather large, but even though they are large they are filled with squishy stuff to make the soft the reason why they are rather thick is because when you sit on them they will get pressed down a few inches and if they arent thick enough you will be sitting on the frame. next couches dont really have a low radius chamfer they have a high radius chamfer because a low radius chamfer looks rather solid and is more adequate for a restaurant type seating.

when modeling anything you ALWAYS should get some sort of reference images to achieve an acceptable result. now i know there are really advanced material that can take the shape of your bun... but id rather sit on something really soft that i can sink into a bit. the couch you designed looks modern i like it, its just its solid look that bothers me.

You texture appears to be at the wrong scale if that's a 6 seater. Looks good though but I agee with the above.