Sheet Set Manager; Where do you put them?

baker

I am starting over here at work. I am using and familiar with SSM. However, i want some feed back on some of your practices on where you keep the DST files and other basic setting. I want to make sure i am not missing something or overlooking a better (efficient) way to keep everything organized.

currently I have created a "template" DST file and keep it in a subfolder for the project that is currently being worked in. I like this because when we archive the job folder; everything that goes with that job gets zipped/archived.

I have been thinking about putting all the DST files in one "SSM" folder in the root folder list of our projects...

feed back please.

TIA

Jon Baker

CenterPoint Integrated Solutions, LLC

1240 Bergen Parkway, Suite A-250

Evergreen, CO 80439

I always keep the DST file in the root job directory, never in a general folder. All project files need to be in the same folder in my opinion.

Another thing, is that I do not use the folder hierarchy. I place the sheets DWG files in one single directory. This saves a bunch of mess and cleanup later one, plus keeps things much more organized.

Granted, an architect may do things differently since they usually handle many more sheets than I. The most sheets I've ever had to handle was 60 mechanical sheets on a single job.

I keep the DST file in the root folder for the job. Everyone working on the job gets a short cut to the DST file on their desktop. Double clicking on the DST file opens up AutoCAD with the Sheet Set active.

I work in Transportation, and typically have large plan sets... anywhere from +/-100 - 550 sheets, and also use SSM to keep my projects organized.

All sheets being included (attached) to the DST must reside in the same directory as the DST to which they are attached.

Also, I use sub-sets to keep my DST organized:

CT_ssm.subsets.png

... Which is how we quickly navigate to the correct sheet needed, etc.. Each sheet (for us) is in its own drawing (intead of multi-tabbed drawings), as we typically have 2 (or more) CAD users working on the same project, at the same time.

Using SSM makes it easy to know which drawings are in use, or available for work, etc.

Hope this helps!

Yes, another great point. One Layout tab per drawing (aka "Sheet"). I never use more than one Layout per sheet drawing.

I too use Subsets, but again I choose not to create a folder hierarchy in Windows Explorer.

would you put the DWG files in one folder? in case you needed to move a drawing from one subset to another?

would you use folder hierarchy?

--> dwgs

.....|--> subset#1 (folder)

........|--> ss#1dwg#1.dwg

........|--> ss#1dwg#2.dwg

........|--> ss#1dwg#3.dwg

.....|--> subset#2 (folder)

........|--> ss#2dwg#1.dwg

........|--> ss#2dwg#2.dwg

........|--> ss#2dwg#3.dwg

.....|--> subset.dst

or

--> dwgs

.....|--> ss#1dwg#1.dwg

.....|--> ss#1dwg#2.dwg

.....|--> ss#1dwg#3.dwg

.....|--> ss#2dwg#1.dwg

.....|--> ss#2dwg#2.dwg

.....|--> ss#2dwg#3.dwg

.....|--> subset.dst

What I do, and take this for what you wish, is to place all sheet drawings into a single folder aptly named "sheets" and use sub-sets within SSM only (no sub-folders in windows explorer).

This gives me the organizational structure from which I can easily, and quickly navigate the project, as well as minimize the complexity of the project's directory structure. I've automated our archival process as well, and not that I couldn't account for having multiple directories in that code, but it's certainly easier to maintain this way.

Understanding that this is simply one, of many methods, I hope this helps.

I will also confirm that I do not use folder hierarchy. I only use Subsets in SSM for organizational needs. It keeps the root job folder clean, and I never open or manipulate the DWG file through Windows Explorer anyways. All actions are ran through the SSM only so I don't need Windows Explorer to organize anything at all.

... The next thing you get to look into with SSM is "Custom Properties" which can be used to populate many of your Title Block's attributes (via field).

For example -

When there's a change to the project's name, or the client, etc., you can go into SSM change the custom property, and walla - the entire project is updated at once. 8)

... The next thing you get to look into with SSM is "Custom Properties" which can be used to populate many of your Title Block's attributes (via field).

For example -

When there's a change to the project's name, or the client, etc., you can go into SSM change the custom property, and walla - the entire project is updated at once. 8)

yes already doing that. I need to get the viewports set up however.

See, you're already all over this stuff.

yes already doing that. I need to get the viewports set up however.

What "setup" do you require for viewports?

Edited by BlackBox

I work in Transportation, and typically have large plan sets... anywhere from +/-100 - 550 sheets, and also use SSM to keep my projects organized.

Also, I use sub-sets to keep my DST organized:

[ATTACH]28547[/ATTACH]

... Which is how we quickly navigate to the correct sheet needed, etc.. Each sheet (for us) is in its own drawing (intead of multi-tabbed drawings), as we typically have 2 (or more) CAD users working on the same project, at the same time.

Using SSM makes it easy to know which drawings are in use, or available for work, etc.

Hope this helps!

Ditto all of that except:

All sheets being included (attached) to the DST must reside in the same directory as the DST to which they are attached.

I agree it is good practice to keep all DWGs in the same directory, but that does not have to be the same directory which contains the DST file.

We keep the DST in the root of the project and the drawings are in a subdirectory named DWG

I agree it is good practice to keep all DWGs in the same directory, but that does not have to be the same directory which contains the DST file.

We keep the DST in the root of the project and the drawings are in a subdirectory named DWG

You absolutely right - I honestly didn't remember that until after I went into a DST for something unrelated to this thread, and saw the "Store new sheet DWG file in:" option, under the sub-set properties. I failed to come back and correct this post, as I got caught up in deadlines.

As always, I appreciate the correction, RK. :)

Cheers! :beer:

Funny (but sad) side-bar:

As it happens I'm Beta testing my State's DOT Civil 3D Kit, and they (unfortunately) come from a Microstation background, where the project template's directory structure has 50+ sub-directories (I know!?)... in any event, instead of using sub-sets assigned to their predetermined sub-directories (as you've just clarified), they spent tax payer dollars to hire Autodesk .NET Developers to write them a custom "Sheet Set Organizer" application which sits on top of SSM, so that each of the 50+ directories can have their own DST file. shocked.gif

• 1 month later...

I have all of my Approval drwgs in a Sheet Set. Now I received the Approved set back with changes from the architect. I keep the revised drawings (.dwg) in a new folder but should I create a completely new sheet set or add a subset which contains the Approved drwgs, then another subset for Production drwgs and so on? Does the example look okay? If not, what do you suggest?

Job Name

Approval Drwgs

Cover

Key Plans

Elevations

Details

Approved Drwgs

Cover

Key Plans

and so on......

Our drawings are not large (