How much is enough??

PAPASMIRF

Hey folks,

Want to buy a windows based laptop that will run AutoCad 2010 with optimal performance. Can anyone tell me what the specs on this system should be in order to achieve this.

Thanks for your time.

PAPASMIRF.

The best place to start is the AutoDesk website where you'll see the recommended minimum specifications for AutoCAD 2011 listed...then build from there.

What is your budget?

You can check the Cadalyst magazine website. I think they recently ran an article about laptops that would be suitable for running AutoCAD or even Inventor on.

I'd recommend Lenovo, XiComputer and even the "Latitude" by Dell. This last one is recommended for use in the 5-year Landscape Architecture program at SUNY-ESF (Environmental School of Forestry) at Syracuse, New York. It is a very intensive program and each student is required to purchase a specific configuration geared solely with the L.A. program in mind. The specs are more stringent than those for laptops used by the general student body.

You can check the Cadalyst magazine website. I think they recently ran an article about laptops that would be suitable for running AutoCAD or even Inventor on.

I'd recommend Lenovo, XiComputer and even the "Latitude" by Dell. This last one is recommended for use in the 5-year Landscape Architecture program at SUNY-ESF (Environmental School of Forestry) at Syracuse, New York. It is a very intensive program and each student is required to purchase a specific configuration geared solely with the L.A. program in mind. The specs are more stringent than those for laptops used by the general student body.

Steer clear of Lenovo. They are very limited on Graphics card selections for their laptops (workstations also).

What is your budget and future plans?

I just recently purchased a Lenovo W510, brand new but leftover; and I love it for when it comes to using AutoCAD 2010. I don't regret my purchase one bit and it was considerably faster than the XP machine I was using...lol. Check out my profile to see the specs on it.

When I was customizing a laptop through their website, there were only like 2 choices of video cards. They were Nvidia Quadro cards. One was a lower budget and the other higher end. Your choice will come down to what your plans are for drawing now and in the future.

Yeah, I have two Lenovos (T-60 / W701) and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone exclude them from considertation. The T-60 is nearly 5 years old and although it has less than AutoCAD2011's minimum graphics RAM, it still runs 2011 perfectly. The W701 is simply a beast, and thrashes my desktop with AutoCAD. Lenovo may not offer a lot of video card options, (seems there are fewer than last year), but the cards they use are top-notch and AutoCAD approved/certified.

Yeah, I have two Lenovos (T-60 / W701) and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone exclude them from considertation. The T-60 is nearly 5 years old and although it has less than AutoCAD2011's minimum graphics RAM, it still runs 2011 perfectly. The W701 is simply a beast, and thrashes my desktop with AutoCAD. Lenovo may not offer a lot of video card options, (seems there are fewer than last year), but the cards they use are top-notch and AutoCAD approved/certified.

And they get worse everyday. 5 years ago I would have highly recommended Lenovo.

My only complaint about the W510, was the most up to date driver that Lenovo had was crashing randomly. I swapped to the latest Nvidia one and no problems since.

And they get worse everyday. 5 years ago I would have highly recommended Lenovo.

That's how I feel about Dell computers. They've gone down hill quickly.

The same can be said for any brand. Someone's gonna love Brandxx, someone's gonna hate Brandxx, and someone who used to love Brandxx, will now have a reason why they hate Brandxx.

The same can be said for any brand. Someone's gonna love Brandxx, someone's gonna hate Brandxx, and someone who used to love Brandxx, will now have a reason why they hate Brandxx.

Very true. Eff it, just build your own computer for supreme satisfaction with no one to blame but yourself. :P