Starting my own work and need a start up PC for 3d Work, plz check my spec

funk

This made me laugh. So many times I've heard this through the years of me being involved in the computing world..... ;)

I guess I just don't know what it's like to have an unlimited budget. I buy what I need and what I can use. 16GB is something I can't use, so I don't need it. I would rather get 8GB RAM and put the rest of the money into a high end video card or a bigger/faster processor. RAM is definitely important, but anything over 8GB really isn't doing anything for you. And I don't believe in planning for the future when it comes to computers. Whatever I buy today will be obsolete in 3 months anyway. So I buy what I need, and what I can actually use, and then upgrade every 2 or 3 years. Buying massive amounts of RAM because one day you might be able to use it is just a waste of money in my opinion. :geek:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• funk

• Cad64

• tzframpton

• emwhite

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I hear ya. I was more joking with my statement. The only thing I do with planning is make sure the darn thing can be upgrade to a certain degree, that's about it. So I agree with you there. ;)

FYI this is the computer I'm putting in to build today.

Computer.jpg

has come a long way from the first one. And alot more expensive.

I think I will change the RAM though when I call them today, take it down to 12gig.

Still open to comments in the next few hours before I call them :cry:

Dropping the RAM from 16 to 12 is only going to save you about $50. If you're really looking to get the price down, swap that Quadro card for a GeForce card. I've always used GeForce cards and never had any trouble.

I see your hard drive is only 120GB? Do you have external storage or something? I would recommend at least a 500GB drive.

You will definitely like the SSD!!! It makes my computer boot fairly quickly as well as apps open faster. I don't have a direct comparison with the same computer but it's definitely a nice boost with my personal laptop vs my work desktop.

I hope that wireless card has an movable antennae or your place your desktop on top of your desk for a better connection. Your Mobo supports Gigabit LAN and I would recommend that over wireless N.

With drives as cheap as they are, I would try to get a RAID setup in place or daily/hourly backups for redundancy. That's just my opinion and you have no real reason not to with cost per GB being really low on spinning drives. Don't want to suffer from a catastrophe and not have backup of files.

I have a 1Terra external harddrive which I usually use for filing. And I just downgraded the harddrive to an Intel 80 or 100 gig, still SSD though.

what you mean by RAID setup in place?

and what does Mobo stand for?

Dropping the RAM from 16 to 12 is only going to save you about $50. If you're really looking to get the price down, swap that Quadro card for a GeForce card. I've always used GeForce cards and never had any trouble.

I see your hard drive is only 120GB? Do you have external storage or something? I would recommend at least a 500GB drive.

Do you still use AutoCAD any? They are no longer recommending or certifying GeForce cards for AutoCAD.

Do you still use AutoCAD any? They are no longer recommending or certifying GeForce cards for AutoCAD.

I use Autocad all day every day. Currently using 2012.

I have a 1Terra external harddrive which I usually use for filing. And I just downgraded the harddrive to an Intel 80 or 100 gig, still SSD though.

what you mean by RAID setup in place?

and what does Mobo stand for?

Good about the 1TB drive.

RAID: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

It's basically a hardware setup to have multiple disks to either back up each other, write to all of them at once for a performance boost or a combination of the options for redundancy/performance.

Mobo = short for motherboard

Mobo = Motherboard

I think it's a mistake to downgrade the SSD, external storage or not, but it's your call.

Yes on Mobo and SSD drive

ok, i have put back in the 120gig drive Corsair Drive :)

cheers.

Good call. I have a 140GB drive and kind of wish it was bigger because my photography hobby fills it quickly but I save most of my files to my home server. You can shop around on the web to find a good deal on SSD drives.

I use Autocad all day every day. Currently using 2012.

It's good to know they still work on AutoCAD. Wonder why they stopped testing them.

Quadro cards are performance-tuned to meet Autodesk's qualification requirements. They probably just decided to dedicate a product line to Autodesk, so they picked the Quadro cards. GeForce cards are more for gaming, so they have a whole other set of requirements. But they still work just fine, just not certified.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13963240