Steel Shape Lisp Routine

bennyboy86

Hello I have recently upgraded to autocad2012 from 2011, when i was using 2011 i was using a lisp routine called Wiseys steel shapes. this was a popup window so i could pick steel sections and insert into drawing everyone know how much time this can save. the problem is that it doesnt seem to work with 2012 i have it loaded, etc. but when i enter command nothing happens.

can someone help either by figuring it out (i have uploaded the zip file with everything needed) or by suggesting a different lisp that will work for 2012. i need it to be australian shapes.

thanks for your help.WiseysSteelShapes.zip

The files for that will be in a folder, now in AutoCAD go to Options, Files, support files and add that folder so it is now in the path statement. Load the steel program using appload, you should be ready to work.

OMG, that's a total rip off of Al Roger's Steel Mill which I've been using for several years.

WiseysSteelShapesUSA.gif

AlsSteelMill.jpg

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work because it appears to contains everything from Steel Mill. Make sure you have the directory where the lisp is stored in your support path. If you can't make it work, I'll link you to Steel Mill as I know that does work fine in 2012.

hey thanks for getting back to me, yes i have tried all of that got my support path lined up and used appload and have in startup suite, but still doesnt work.

Nestly - i was reading the txt file that comes with it and this guy says he has updated from the one you use, but by the looks the one you have looks much better. if you could send me the one you got i will give it a try. thanks

Not "Austrailian" per se, just the metric W/R/C/A shapes shown in the screencap above . While Googling, it appears that others have had similar problems with Steel Mill doing nothing after typing the shortcut to start the lisp.

I loaded Wiseys in my 2012 and it seems to work fine. I'd try again to unzip all the files into the same directory, and then make sure that directory is in your AutoCAD2012 support path.

I originally found Steel Mill at Cadalyst.com and it's still available from there http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/standard-blocks/steel-shapes-all-types-and-sizes

AutoCad Steel Mill Addon.zip

Edited by nestly

ok i have fixed after some investigation into the fact that none of my lisp worked anymore i decided to reinstall it cause i was wasting to much time trying to figure it out, happy to say everything in up and running all smoothly know, including the version i was using. have no idea what happened to make this problem but it seems to be fixed for the time being.

thanks for that BIGAL will have a look at that one also.

thanks everyone for there help.

Bennyboy86 check out the australian software Struc-plus it does steel shapes plus a huge amount of other stuff it supports AUS British ISO USA etc

http://www.cad.com.au/strucplus/strucplus.htm

I've tried the trial of that recently and was not impressed with it. I found it either too basic/simple (duplicating many inbuilt AutoCad or Civil3D functions) or a mess to draw with (nothing is inserting as blocks etc, just lines).

I'm actually not too sure, but doesn't such a thing actually "beg" for dynamic blocks? I.e. say a section through an I-beam with a set of length parameters constrained to various sizes. Then a lookup table to quickly pick the various standard I-Beams. And with the constraints since 2010 you can even get those fillets to work properly.

Wisey (and Steel Mill) do use a lookup table to create the shapes. I do see a benefit of them being blocks, in fact I've already cataloged the common beams as blocks in my own library, but I'm not sure I see the advantage of making them dynamic.

..., but I'm not sure I see the advantage of making them dynamic.
Changes? Perhaps? ... Pick & select different type if you need to change the size later? Otherwise it's an erase and reinsert.

Changes? Perhaps? ... Pick & select different type if you need to change the size later? Otherwise it's an erase and reinsert.

See all of the information to the right giving you the properties of the shape. I use that info. Can you put all of that info in a dynamic block? Other than that a dynamic block would work and AutoCAD includes some in the Structural Tool Palette on mine.

Can you put all of that info in a dynamic block?

Yeah, you could make a dynamic block that you could insert/change by any/all of it's dimension, and all those properties could also be visible by selecting the blocks "properties" however I still think it's a bit of overkill to use dynamic blocks for simple shapes with fixed dimensions. Also, when you change a beam size, at least 3 of the 5 dimensions change. so you usually have to move it anyway, so is resizing/moving more efficient than just re-inserting? I would say it's not.

Well, in that case you use a Lookup table. See the attached drawing. It contains an I-Beam-wide-flange. Both one where you can adjust the sizes to whatever you want, and one which uses a lookup table.

Both even have hidden attributes linked as fields to these properties.

Where I have a problem with the above is making the K Dim. If anyone's got experience in trying to get a tangent constraint working on a stretch action they could probably help with that.

DynSteel.dwg

• 3 months later...

Hello I have recently upgraded to Briscad V12 from V10, when i was using V10 i was also using Wisey's steel, now it's not working if I open V 10 it still works V12 uploads the application but dos not bring the popup screen up

Did you get yours sorted if so pleas link me to the person

there is other products out there that do work but is expensive - CP_systems go to

https://www.bricsys.com/common/applications/applicationlist.jsp?estore.ApplicationCategory=4 you will find it there

thanks for your help.WiseysSteelShapes.zip

• 12 years later...