NURBS or feature based parametric modelling?

ath007

Hi guys :)

I am in the mechanical product design sector and more into new product development and the occasional re-engineering. I was wondering which would be the better modeller approach when it comes to designing to manufacture for the industry?

NURBS based free form modelling (RHINO) or parametric feature-based modelling (Solidworks, CATIA)?

Why and how? Moreover I am conducting a study regarding this and I could add this section as a 'survey' kinda thing to show the responses from the experts out there.

P.S. I didn't know which section to add this to, so put it in General (Catch All)

If the end goal is to manufacture and you are making a mechanical product then parametric is program to use, if you are making say a cover i.e mobile phone case then use can use both however Rhino can do more complex shapes.

We use Alias design (N.U.R.B.S) to lay down all the concept models (only the visible shell, no internal moving parts) and import them into Inventor to tweek them (i.e add fixtures, correct draft angles etc) then build in all the moving parts, then we may well send it back to Alias to add in any finishing covers ( again only if they are complex shapes). All the parts built in Alias can be used to lay down tooling so nothing is wasted.

Our workflow: Train Seat Design.

Alias - Concept design and single complex shapes plastic/metal parts for tooling.

Inventor - All mechanical parts - assembly - FEA - generating 2d drawings for manufacture - 3d models for tooling.

• 7 months later...

Is there a good resource for learning the Alias Design imported into Inventor process? I've been importing for weeks with varying level of success when getting to steps like shelling or lipping. So to clarify, I know the general process of importing alias models into Inventor, I just don't know why they fail to shell half the time. The error messages are very vague and never point me to what broke a model.