Layer Filter in PROPERTIES bar

barry2104

Hi All

i know how to apply a filter to my Layers dialogue box - i use this often to just show local layers when i have a .dwg with a few xrefs in it, each of which have heaps of layers within themselves, and i don't need to see the xref layers etc

does anyone know how to do a similar thing to the Properties bar layer field?

until now, when i needed to change the layer of an entity, i click on the little arrow on the RHS of this drop down field in the properties bar, and then have to seek out my layer name, which could be amongst the hundreds of xref layer names, depending on the naming conventions used etc.

i know with perfect naming convensions or by putting a "0" in front of my local layers, then at least all of mine will be grouped together at the top, but is there a way to bypass that option to ONLY show local layers???

thanks in advance

Please check this tip.

thanks for the response Mircea, but this Tip only works when using the Layer Manager toolbar.

I'm talking about the PROPERTIES toolbar (Shift+1 shortcut). When u open this properties dialogue, you see 5 headings: General, 3D Visualization, Plot style, View, & Misc.

Under the General heading you see the 2nd field: Layer, which shows the layer you're currently working with.

if u click on the down arrow you see the list of ALL layers related to this .dwg - be it xref OR local. i want to only see the local layers in this list.

understand?

It’s true, it doesn’t affect the list from Properties palette, but it works with the layers pop-up list from Layers toolbar.

Regards,

Mircea

by the way, i have what i consider a better method of filtering local layers through Layer Manager...

click on the New &Property Filter (Alt+P)

Type in filter name "LOCAL LAYERS"

in the Name cell of the Filter Definition, type in: ~*|*

click OK

now u have a permanent local layers filter for that .dwg!

You could always add it to the wish-list. See this thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?61574-Submit-and-vote-for-ideas-to-improve-your-experience-using-AutoCAD!

But you're correct. IMO no non-local layer should ever be displayed in either the Ribbon/Toolbar dropdown, nor the Properties Palette's drop-down. Why should they be there ever? It's not as if you can set something to an xreffed layer, nor can you make such layer current. So all they do is waste space!

One "possible" use of having xref layers in the toolbar would be to Freeze/Off/VPFreeze/Lock them. Yet AFAIK it's "quicker" to select several in the manager and perform those functions there.

@barry: That's a great tip! No need to constantly use the invert filter check all the time! :thumbsup:

barry, did you know you can change the layer of selected items just by picking a layer from Layer dropdown rather than going into the Properties palette? Layer filters also apply to the Layer dropdown lists (unless you've turned that off)

http://www.screencast.com/t/Kzga5VmELr

*edit* Youtube video quality is lousy, reupped to Screencast....