when coping objects with dimensions, the dim base point does not move with it.

MikeP

many times, when I copy an object with the a dimension to it. It keeps the base point of the dimension and has a crazy long leg of the dimension that starts from the original place. how can I stop this from happening?

Do you use associative dimensions? Not the same as annotative.

I have had the same problem before.

What is the difference and Which parameter controls it?

Associative is when you create a dimension in relation to something. (i.e.click on the end points of a line.)

This happens when you create the dimension and if you click on an entity or a point in the background.

If you click on an entity you are associating the dimension to that entity, Whilst if you click on a point in the background you are creating a point for the dim to rest on.(this will not move if you move the entity)

This should not cause that problem when copying. You can see if your dim is associative under the General Tab in propertys.

Edited by SunnyTurtle
adding

Associative is when you create a dimension in relation to something. (i.e.click on the end points of a line.)

This happens when you create the dimension andif you click on an entity or a point in the background.

If you click on anentity you are associating the dimension to that entity, Whilst if you click ona point in the background you are creating a point for the dim to rest on.(this will not move if you move the entity)

This should not cause that problem when copying. You can see if your dim is associative under the General Tab in propertys.

Could you please elaborate on the red sentence? What is background?

When I pushed the button for reply with quote, your quote appeared with lots of size and font for each line which is not normal. It seams that you have defined font and size separately for each line. and more importantly last sentence has missed your reply. I think you have to check the setting for your typing.

What I mean by background is anywhere that is not on an object. if you are having trouble creating associative dimension it is becasue you may not have the box ticked in options under (user preferences)

I am still unaware to how the problem is happening becasue it i can not make it happen to my AutoCAD but there may be another reason.

Would be helpful if you could send a example drawing of where this is happening, removing all copyright sensitive stuff first of cause

Edited by SunnyTurtle
spelling

What I mean by background is anywhere that is not on an object. if you are having trouble creating associative dimension it is becasue you may not have the box ticked in options under (user preferences)

I am still unaware to how the problem is happening becasue it i can not make it happen to my AutoCAD but there may be another reason.

Would be helpful if you could send a example drawing of where this is happening, removing all copyright sensitive stuff first of cause

Dear Sunny Turtle

Thanks for your notes. Now every thing is clear. At present I don't have that issue, so I don't have the file to send, but I remember that it has happened to me several times in the past.

BTW, annotative is different from associative. ReMark reply is about difference between them. It would be great if annotative dimension is also explained. Associative dimension is explained very well. Thanks

The following quote is by David Cohn, President of PPI Group and taken from his presentation at AutoDesk University (2008) re: Annotation Scaling.

"The Annotative Scaling functionality in AutoCAD lets you create text, dimensions, hatch patterns and other annotative objects that automatically change their size and placement to match the scale of the viewport." The viewports Mr. Cohn speaks of would be those one would set up in their paper space layout.

Do you make use of paper space layouts?

Do you make use of paper space layouts?

Yes I do use paper space for plotting. Till now I didn't care about annotative dimension. Usually I put dimension size in model space, if it is readable, usually they are readable in A4 or A3 plots as well.

Edited by khoshravan

_DIMASSOC =1 or _OPTIONS>User Preferences and uncheck "Make New Dimensions Assciative". Use Properties to or _DIMDISASSOCIATE on currently associated dimensions.