Line style changes between model and layout view?

bobsun

Hi,

Why line display in model view and layout view could be different?

For example, a line of width 0.35mm and short dashed style is displayed correctly in model view, but in layout view is displayed as thin as the default width, and its dash style is also changed (dash length and interval).

Why does this happen and how to prevent it?

line.png

Bob

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobsun

• tzframpton

• nestly

• Lt Dan's legs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Make sure your MSLTSCALE is set to 1. Then make sure the CANNOSCALE is set the exact scale of the viewport and the scale will be in sync.

StykFacE,

Both MSLTSCALE and cannoscale are set to 1, however no change happened and model/layout space are still displayed differently.

cannoscale.png

Is there still anyway to solve this problem?

Bob

PSLTSCALE is also set to 1 and in fact I never changed this default value. However, lines are still displayed different in model and layout view.

Isn't there any fix to it?

Then it's either one of two options. The object itself has a different LTSCALE than 1. Check this by selecting the line and opening Properties to see if it's been set differently.

Also you never verified if the Viewport is the exact same scale as the Modelspace CANNOSCALE. This also has to match.

If you still can't figure it out, upload the file so one of us can take a look at it.

Then it's either one of two options. The object itself has a different LTSCALE than 1. Check this by selecting the line and opening Properties to see if it's been set differently.

Also you never verified if the Viewport is the exact same scale as the Modelspace CANNOSCALE. This also has to match.

If you still can't figure it out, upload the file so one of us can take a look at it.

Can you see the image in my third post that CANNOSCALE=1:1? What is "exact" you mean? Is it the same as 1:1?

CANNOSCALE is the Current Annotation Scale of Modelspace. The Viewport scale is in Paperspace.

So, go to Paperspace, click the Viewport edge and open Properties Palette and see what the scale is set to. If it's anything other than 1:1 for the Viewport in Paperspace then that's where the error is.

I just discovered a slider on the LWEIGHT dialog box to control the relative lineweight display in MS. In PS layouts, the lineweight is drawn at it's actual lineweight relative to the paper. I imagine the slider compensates for different display resolution. I had to move it from the center, almost all the way to the left in order to get the same lineweight display at the same scale in both MS and PS.

LWEIGHT.JPG

I think the OP is asking why lineweight doesn't display the same in MS and PS when all else is equal... something I don't understand either?

http://screencast.com/t/7aJpigYKae

nestly,

Is screencast.com a video sharing website? Do they require using Camtasia studio for screen recording, or other software could also work?

I looked at the screen recording and it is the same problem as I met. Is the video accompanied by a solution?

I just discovered a slider on the LWEIGHT dialog box to control the relative lineweight display in MS. In PS layouts, the lineweight is drawn at it's actual lineweight relative to the paper. I imagine the slider compensates for different display resolution. I had to move it from the center, almost all the way to the left in order to get the same lineweight display at the same scale in both MS and PS.

[ATTACH]29406[/ATTACH]

Changing this doesn't work for me neither. Is there still any other solutions?

As a temporary walkaround, I change LTSCALE to different levels when viewing in the layout view until I get the desired line style (in terms of dash length and interval). However, line weights are not displayed in layout view even if LWDISPLAY=On.

CANNOSCALE is the Current Annotation Scale of Modelspace. The Viewport scale is in Paperspace.

So, go to Paperspace, click the Viewport edge and open Properties Palette and see what the scale is set to. If it's anything other than 1:1 for the Viewport in Paperspace then that's where the error is.

A solution I found is to use the combination of LTSCALE and LWDEFAULT:

1. LTSCALE to change scale in the layout view when printing, and set it back when returning to model view
  2. LWDEFAULT to a larger value to get line weight displayed.

Help for LWDEFAULT is at:

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-726e.htm,topicNumber=d0e47249

AutoCAD seems to have a quite sophisticated editing/display/printing design. I am usually not actually printing to papers and only prints to PDF file and send to factories for mechanical parts manufacturing. Without experimenting with paper printing, is there a way to really understand all of AutoCAD's editing-display-printing pipeline?

lwdefault.jpg

Bob

Oh,

Just aware that I was certainly wrong on LWDEFAULT. It doesn’t change the scale at all but merely changes the default width for those specified as “default”, and this is what makes the layout view looks then different.

So basically it was a wrong solution.

However, since adjusting LTSCALE in layout view can change the dashes’ length/interval display, is there a way to change line weight’s scale, like a LWSCALE variable, LTSCALE's width equivalent? I searched Help and system variable but didn’t find a match.

Bob

What does that matter? The Lineweight thickness changes when you zoom and regen anyways so it kind of defeats the purpose of having a variable that controls this setting.

Changing this doesn't work for me neither. Is there still any other solutions?

Re: LWEIGHT

.35mm is fairly narrow. If you don't have your paper pretty well maximize on the layout, and/or if you don't have a fairly high screen resolution. .35mm may well show up as only a single pixel high on your screen even when Lineweight is turned on. For testing purposes, zoom in on your paper, or increase the lineweight to .70mm or more.

If you're still not having any sucess, post a sample drawing