Does an engineer need to know/use AUTOCAD? Or leave it to a drafter.

khoshravan

Engineers either need to know AutoCAD really well or they need to stay the heck out of the program.

As for female drafters, speaking strictly from my experience, they didn't know what they were actually drawing, and were slow as molasses. They did smell better than the men, however.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Roy

• khoshravan

• ReMark

• Organic

At my office the engineers know the basics and give me rough sketches that i then have clean up (change everything) so the machine shops know what we actually want.

"As for female drafters, speaking strictly from my experience, they didn't know what they were actually drawing, and were slow as molasses. They did smell better than the men, however"

That's probably because someone hired them for their looks alone. Were they all blondes too?

I'm kidding!

By sig, do you mean your signature? I have to admit that I don't understand your signature.

What do you mean by grading. Grading what?

Yes, sig is short for signature. "Breaking" is a term used by some software people. It means using a program in a way that the programmers did not intend and probably would not approve of.

"Grading" is when you push dirt around. Typically we design a site so that rain water will not collect and form puddles.

"As for female drafters, speaking strictly from my experience, they didn't know what they were actually drawing, and were slow as molasses. They did smell better than the men, however"

That's probably because someone hired them for their looks alone. Were they all blondes too?

I'm kidding!

Not blond in particular but I am pretty sure the boss hired one (years ago at another job) based on looks. She worked nights, so I would save my drawings and write over the top of her work in the morning and keep on going.

There have been more than a few men that were just as bad and I would throw their work away as well.

True story, we had a female drafter working for us and she decided she was now a designer and talked the boss into getting her the promotion. He had her follow another HVAC designer around for a while. He removed some ceiling tiles to trace a duct line and she says out loud, "Oh, so that's duct work". She got run off shortly after that for other reasons.

as a drafty, I'd prefer if engineers stayed out of MY drawing files. I prefer engineers to use viewwing/red-lining softwre like Rasterex's RxHighlight and not a CAD editor. Less chance that the file gets mucked up and the drafting standards are maintained.

I think you introduced everybody except yourself:lol:

BTW also please comment on the female draftsman. Some company uses female for following reasons:

1- They work more accurate than men.

2- They don't ask for salary raise very often

3- They keep the courtesy.

4- They obey the rules more than men.

1/3/4. No. It depends on the person.

2. No. Someone doing the same job, whether male or female should be paid the same.

BTW also please comment on the female draftsman. Some company uses female for following reasons:

I'm offended and women should be too.

Khos has not explained if that is his views or the views of Them. But yes, its total bull, all of the points.

There is one thing though, that could be used as a reason to have a gender-mix on your workforce. I have moved between two small divisions in my company, each with around 15 employees that work close together. The first division had two females, me included (the second one was an older woman that worked from very early to shortly after noon each day), with the men being mostly in their early 30s.

The second and my current division is four females, me included, all in their late 20s/early 30s, and the men are the same agegroup. The topics of discussions, the general feel of the workplace and the respect for each other is soo much better and greater where I am now.

Like a collegue from my old division said not too long agao "oh, you know, we all know how big a wang P has, he talks about it all the time". Is that a proper discussion for a workplace? I think not, and I think that work climate is improved with a good gender mix in the workplace. A work place with all females is just as bad as all male.

At my last place, the team I started on was primarily female. I was confident and cocky. I'll tell you what, those females knew their stuff! Some of them moved away, we all switched teams a few times. I ended up on an all-male team. Conversations were different, workplace was still fun as could be, but I miss working with those ladies. They were very smart, very efficient, nice and friendly, and very nice on the eyes. They were paid more than me as well.

@ cadvision - I agree. Engineers and PM's want AutoCAD or Revit. I still maintain, "No. You get Acrobat and Design Review."

They were paid more than me as well.

This part sounds very odd to me. Do they have more experience than you? I thought in general they are paid less than their male coworkers.

@ cadvision - I agree. Engineers and PM's want AutoCAD or Revit. I still maintain, "No. You get Acrobat and Design Review."

What is PM's?

3) Courtesy: two out of the three could out swear a U.S. sailor any day of the week and do it three times as loud.

I couldn't understand this sentence.

This part sounds very odd to me. Do they have more experience than you? I thought in general they are paid less than their male coworkers.

What is PM's?

At the time I was a CAD Technician (draftsman), as were they. They had been with the company longer, I was new. I had more experience, but I wasn't pushing for huge pay, I was already getting paid well enough.

PM is Project Manager.

I'm offended and women should be too.

May I ask what has offended you? From your sentence and what I wrote, I assume you are a male over 70. I didn't tell all people over 70 doesn't know CAD. All the time there are exceptions.

I don't mean to offend anyone and I apologize if my post made you feel offended.

Edited by khoshravan
viewed Daniel's profile

It's quite abrasive and off-putting to consistently read about men being paid more than women. I, for one, don't decide others wages and really don't care. I don't see why a woman shouldn't make equal; in my experiences, they have. So to keep seeing it brought up is getting on my nerves.

It's quite abrasive and off-putting to consistently read about men being paid more than women. I, for one, don't decide others wages and really don't care. I don't see why a woman shouldn't make equal; in my experiences, they have. So to keep seeing it brought up is getting on my nerves.

So if you're not aware of the discrimination, it doesn't happen? And you're offended because other people claim it does? Really?

I think you introduced everybody except yourself:lol:

I think there is a linear correlation between age and CAD usage. I hardly can see a man in his 70's and uses CAD. Off course it is a matter which should be left to young mostly. Except those who used from the early version of R12.

the offense comes from the insinuation that men don't pay attention, women don't deserve the same pay as men, and that men are are rude while women are complient. This is 2011, not the 1800's I know there are probably some culteral differences between us, but this is an international forum, and a result of the modern age, and the statements in your post are very condesending towards individuals who have earned the right to be respected in this industry, even those at the entry level, regardless of race, gender or nationality.

its funny the guy asked about weither engineers should use autocad and this has turned into a discrimation topic.......in our office engineers stay away from cad as they dont know how to use it and when they do they stuff something up and we the drafters have to fix it. but really it comes down to if the company has drafters use them, if the company doesnt and the engineer happy to learn go for it.

So if you're not aware of the discrimination, it doesn't happen? And you're offended because other people claim it does? Really?

I didn't say either of those. I said I'm annoyed by constantly hearing about it, when in my experience I haven't seen it.

Nowhere did I say it doesn't exist, because it does.

Same goes for a lot of subjects, I'm sick of hearing about them, it's annoying. I'm not going to name them, because I don't want to even see the discussion to avoid it.

In our work location, we have many Engineers but no one knows AUTOCAD...even our architect doesnt know CAD job. But unfortunately, some engineers they made a important role in designing, specially those who really has knowledge of a certain plan. As of today, specially our senior engineer, most of them are totally lack of knowledge in CAD...and they dont have interest in learning CAD.

In over-all performance.....only the architect and CAD operators make a very critical work in designing as per our job is concern.