Hatch Problem

Jfennell

I am having a problem trimming a hatched area (see attached screen shot) i need to hatch one area and then draw a polygon inside the hatched area and then trim the hatch around it, kind of like an island. i have checked to make sure the areas are coplaner or on the same elevation. i use this method all of the time so i know it works, i am just not sure what the problem is this time, it just does not trim the area any suggestions would be great. I am also wondering if it has to do with the size an/or shape of the hatched area because this is possibly the largest area i have attempted this method with.

ive just recently run into this problem as well....couldnt figure out why but it would trim some times and wouldnt others....the only advice i can offer is to make sure the polyline is closed by checking its properties.....hatches get tricky when they are really large

Thats happened to me a few times. Dunno why it does that. You could recreate the hatch boundary and compress it into the desired area. That would probobly work as long as that area wasn't some crazy organic shape.

Try changing the hatch pattern to say a custom one the try and trim it then change it back to the one you want. This sometimes works fine for me when that happens hope this helps.

few other things to try:

Switch everything else of you dont need on so the only things on your are the polyline your using to trim and the hatch all in same layer.

Regen your screen just before trim.

Use 'c' to close polyline you using to trim.

Makle sure that you remove any 'associated boundaries' associated with the problem area.

Try to zoom in as much as you can so only the trim area is on your screen. Or even just zoom to a different view.

point 4 is the most important you must remove any associated boundaries. Doublee click hatch or edit properties, then click remove boundaries, then select anything dotted in problem area, then click ok, then go back to drawing, trim as usual. Hope this solves for ya.

Not sure if this is what you have done, but for instance say I am drawing a donut. I draw the outer circle and then the inner circle. Now to hatch the donut itself so the hole is left in the middle, type H for hatch, "select objects" and I select the outer and the inner circles, and then enter, then okay. It should have hatched the large circle while leaving the small circle blank. Hope this helps you out a bit.

And if you are not using circles, if you are using polylines, make sure when you highlight either of the lines they say "yes" for closed as stated already, otherwise the hatch will leak into the boundary you dont want hatched.

easy first u draw the polygon n then draw the otherboundry and then use he hatch n then u see it will be done i use this many times i have no proplem