Top Posters In This Topic

• ShawnTTCoop

• JD Mather

• Nishant Agarwal

• Rewind23

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to restart a dead thread, but I tried this for practice. When i selected the revolved semicircle to thicken i got a message saying no surfaces selected; even though, it considered it a surface to select it in the first place. Any thoughts?

Hi Shawn...what I think is that you can't thicken a solid ...a surface however is created if you try to thicken a ployline. if you want extrude a soid you have to look for solid editing command

When i create a semicircle with the arc command, and then revolve 180 degrees, I am left with a solid semi-sphere. Would I have to use a cutting method or maybe the loft command to make it a spherical shell?

When i create a semicircle with the arc command, and then revolve 180 degrees, I am left with a solid semi-sphere. Would I have to use a cutting method or maybe the loft command to make it a spherical shell?

Try using the _SOLIDEDIT>_BODY>_SHELL.

Might be an issue with the edition of autocad. I am stuck in 2008, and when i use the revolve command on my arc, it gives me a solid, not a surface.

Might be an issue with the edition of autocad. I am stuck in 2008, and when i use the revolve command on my arc, it gives me a solid, not a surface.

It might be the difference between the two releases, but in JD's example a surface was created, he forgot to mention that during the revolve command there is a MOde option to choose between surface and solid.

I don't get a choice in the revolve directions that lets me select between surface and solid. From reading the help section it seems that it should automatically create a surface, unless the object being revolved is closed. Since my arc is open, I don't know why it decides to make it a solid.

@shawn- i believed in the latest version of Autocad(2010/2011/2012) they have this Surface 3D Option, while in the older version it only support Solid for 3d modelling..btw, the 3d surface option should be selected first before executing the revolved command in order to create that semi-hollow sphere.. :)

I am going to check throught the settings to see if i can find a way to make it work. If i just draw a line at 45 degrees and revolve around the x-axis, I get a surface. Gives me hope i can make the arc do the same. Unfortunately, I have to record the temperature data for all of last year into an excel sheet ATM. Menial intern work :(. Oh and thanks to everyone who has and continues to give me advice. I appreciate the time spent in answering my basic questions lol

I tried it using plain AutoCAD 2007 and I got a revolved surface.

@shawn - or you can try this if surface is not available in the version youre using..i use the solid option.in addition to Mr.CAD64.i created the arc.i gave it thickness and then i revolve only half of the arc see number 2. hope it helps.

UI2.jpg