Grid and Snap

Riscy

Hi, I expert with electronics and familar with grid and snap from various drawing package. I'm learning Autocad LT for energy efficient heating and cooling system for building project.

After studying the Autocad and found the concept of grid and snap is somewhat very different. It rely on OSnap and other thing. It seem to avoid us using grid and snap concept, which make it more difficuly to grasp.

I welcome comment so I can familarise the different way to draw the object.

Also, when I draw a rectangular shape, when you draw and complete it. It does not seem to make it easy to change the dimension afterward, for example I want to change length and width, but properties does not show it or refuse to make direct adjustment. This is bit annoying.....!

Riscy.

You can use Grid and Snap to draw and place objects. Pay close attention to the spacing of each. I work for an engineer who insists that all his piping and instrumentation symbols be made and inserted using grid and snap. Just not my style but I did it for him just the same as he likes to make edits on his own.

To resize the rectangle you could use the Stretch command.

Yes, however, when moving object, it does not seem to snap to the grid, I have to rely on osnap but in a limited way, for example osnap does not place 'move' object to certain location that osnap cannot registered with other object (I can use move and specify distance).

I do not have a problem with move blocks/symbols or lines for that matter based on snap and grid. Check the increments for each. It helps too if objects are drawn, in the first place, based upon the same increments.

Maybe you're confusing snap and osnap?

The object will try to lock to the grid when moving. Some people find this desireable. You can however toggle snap "off" to facilitate moving objects.