VP showing different scales of same object on same drawing

nigellc

Im stuck! I need to show a building plan at 1/100 scale and then just its outline at say, 1/500 for a site plan, both on the same drawings and using just the one model?

Help would be appreciated. Nigel

Well then I'd suggest using paper space layouts and creating two viewports one for each view of the building plan. First though, create a layer called Vports (or Viewports) assign a color to it then set it to not print.

Have you ever had the opportunity to work with viewports in a paper space layout before?

Thanks ReMark.

Yes, although I use VPs a lot I hadn't appreciated the answer lies in turning layers off in VP for printing.

So many thanks indeed for your suggestion.

However, . . . what is now apparent is my incorrect use of VPs. I have objects, which should be layer specific, scattered over the full range of layers in use. So, if there's a simple answer: is there a procedure I can adopt to sort each layer so it has its correct objects?

Nigel

Is there a simple answer? Not usually. You could try using the QSelect command and see if you can corral some of those objects for moving over to the correct layer.

Is there a simple answer? Not usually. You could try using the QSelect command and see if you can corral some of those objects for moving over to the correct layer.

... or do it once and do it right first time around!

N

First though, create a layer called Vports (or Viewports) assign a color to it then set it to not print.

What is assigning color to a layer? Or do you mean assigning color to vports?

Why do you set it to not print? What is its advantage?

Assigning the vport layer to not-plot is the preferred way instead of placing your vports on the Defpoints layer (which has some issues and should be avoided if possible). It simply means that the rectangle created by the viewport doesn't plot, though it doesn't affect the stuff inside the vp.

Setting a colour for the VP layer simply makes it more visible to the user. I.e. the vp looks different from everything else - so it's easier to see if it's on the wrong layer.

About linework not on correct layers ... I'm guessing you also set each line's colour & linetype? That's a VERY bad idea and makes your life extremely difficult in the long run. Nearly everything needs to be set to ByLayer colour & linetype (probably lineweight, plot style, transparency, etc. as well). That is so you can use viewport overrides to adjust these settings per viewport without needing to duplicate the linework onto new layers. It's also a prerequisite for using xrefs proficiently.

If you have done this (e.g. forced object colour settings), it might enable for a way of using QSelect to choose objects by a specific colour. Then you could apply those to each relevant layer in turn. It might make it easier to "fix". If all lines are the same colour (or linetype, etc.) then there's no "automatic" way that acad can figure out which to place on what layer - all you then have is what object type it is (and that's usually much less useful than you'd expect).